Monday, November 06, 2006

Driving

Driving
The Pathfinder finally turned over 70,000 miles / 112,600 kilometers this weekend.


I need to get a better photo of the Pathfinder.

I added up my driving mileage as I drove home from Doug’s house on Saturday. Since the middle of September, 1988, I have driven over 407,000 miles / 655,000 kilometers in both vehicles. That works out to around 22,600 miles a year and some years were artificially low because my job was only six miles away from home.

That’s a lot of time on the highway. I never realized just how much time I spend driving about.

Future Plans
Doug and I talked about going to Morton’s in Santa Ana again before the year ends when we had lunch on Saturday. About the only thing we agreed upon was to go. Doug was leaning towards a December dinner and I was favoring a November meal.

I looked at the calendar this morning and it looks like we won’t have too many choices left. November is down to only one opportunity, the 18th and December is down to only the 2nd and the 9th. Most of the other Saturdays are out because of not enough time to plan for the date; other activities like the theater, or Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday weekends.

We also agreed to ask for either Amy or Lily for our server when we go to Morton’s.

Life gets complicated fast.

Jury Duty
I have a potential to serve on a jury starting at the end of the month.

I’m not looking forward to jury service. At least in my county, I can only be called into the courthouse on one day during a week. If I don’t get placed on a jury panel that day, I am done for this round of jury service.

My biggest fear is getting stuck at the courthouse for a day with nothing to do. I ordered some books from Barnes and Noble.com today that I can take with me while I sit and wait. The books should be here by this time next week so I will have plenty of reading material.

I don’t usually get placed on a jury panel by the lawyers. I tend to be a conservative, law and order type of person. Having served as an officer in the Navy, you come out with a strong sense of duty and tradition. The Navy has always been the most conservative of our nation’s armed forces.

When you add in the fact that I have gone to law school and that I work in banking, an industry that doesn’t care much for armed robbers, defense attorneys tend to want to excuse me. The prosecution would love to have me serve on the jury because I am more likely to vote for a conviction than an acquittal.

Termites
I ran into one of my neighbors this morning as I was on my out to run some errands. She lives on the third and top floor of the building and in a different section than me. I live on the first floor.

She was telling me that her unit seemed to be infested with termites. I extended her my sympathies and wished her good luck in dealing with them.

This is good news for me. The termites must be eating their way down and will be terminated with extreme prejudice long before they can reach my floor. I don’t worry about them coming up from below since my floor is an eight inch thick, reinforced concert slab.

Hopefully, the homeowners association will have a pest control company out soon and the disruption will be minor for me. Most likely, I’ll cash in some Marriott frequent sleeper points and pay for a night in the local Courtyard Hotel when the termites are taken care of.

Woman of the Moment
I need to make a better effort at recording when I use an image so I don’t put up the same photo more than once unless it is the side bar image. These are all Speed Options photos.





Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home