Wednesday, December 20, 2006

The Princess, the boy friend, and their luggage all arrived on time

The Princess, her boy friend, and their luggage all arrived on time
Actually, they arrived ahead of time which was a surprise because the later flights in any given day are usually late from earlier delays. Her flight was scheduled to arrive at 7:32 PM and it landed at 7:15 PM.

Arrivals are measured by when the plane lands and departures are measured from when the plane pushes away from the boarding gate. Thus, a plane can arrive early and still have to sit on the tarmac until another plane leaves the gate. This tends to frustrate the passengers, especially when they see an empty gate. The gate is empty because the plane can not fit at the gate.

Even more amazing was their luggage was on the plane.

We were out of the airport before 8:00 PM and that was a miracle for us. The traffic was light.

The Princess said the flight was relatively smooth and there was only one small patch of turbulence. You have to understand that the Princess hates to fly and has generally always hated to fly for some reason.

Dad’s One Bad Flight
I have flown all of the time. I have only been really nervous once on a flight and that was during the Vietnam War on a helicopter ride from my ship to the landing zone of the 199th Light Infantry Brigade, a unit the ship was supporting with its guns.

Most all of senior officers dodged going to lunch with the Commanding General. As a junior officer, I figured I would have to stay on the ship.

Big mistake Chuck.

As the ship’s Gunnery Officer, I was one of the requested guests for lunch. I was the one, in the Army’s mind, who pointed and fired the guns that supported them. I missed lunch with the Commanding General when he visited the ship because I was checking my guns in preparation for an afternoon gunfire support mission.

Reluctantly, I went along to lunch. I wore my flak jacket [bullet resistant vest] and put on a helmet. I noticed the helicopter crew chief was sitting on his flak jacket. I asked why and he said it was to stop bullets coming up from below. I promptly sat on my jacket as well.

It was one of those events that one never forgets.
Lunch was Army rations that came from cans. It was all that they had out in the middle of less than friendly country. I think we ate better on the ship and I never complained again about our stewards cooking.

L.A. Food Show – Part 1
I took the Princess and the boy friend to the L.A. Food Show for dinner. The Princess had been to the Show before with me but never for dinner.

They both loved the Avocado Bacon Cheese Chicken eggrolls. We got the last two orders so we were very lucky and thankful for the early arrival and smooth baggage handling process. The Princess said that my brother was raving about the eggrolls and they were almost reason enough to make a trip to Southern California. She saw him last month in San Francisco.

The boy friend and I had Blue Crab Cakes with a small baked potato and grilled asparagus. The crab cakes were very good. The Princess ordered some fish tacos. The server brought out Fish and Chips instead.

This was not what I had expected to happen. I couldn’t get our server’s attention but the cook saw that we, the boy friend and I, were upset and he shouted at us and asked what the problem was. He sent another server to our table to fix things. We told him the Princess had ordered Fish Tacos. The second server took the wrong plate away and promised the proper one immediately.

Our original server, Marissa, said it was the kitchen’s fault for the wrong order. I thought that was shameless and improper blame shuffling. If she had been doing her job, she would have checked the order before she brought it to our table.

But, why point fingers or forks?

We shared a molten chocolate cake which the Princess said was nice but no where close to the Morton’s Godiva Cake. She was right as usual.

On a side bar, I do like the boy friend.

L.A. Food Show – Part 2
Doug and I went there for lunch today. He had another meeting up in Los Angeles and he was finished just before lunch.

We decided to pass on hamburgers since we are going to the Original Tommy’s Hamburgers on Saturday for lunch. We each plan to have a Mega Combo. We also passed on El Gringo because I usually go there for dinner on Wednesdays.

We had an order to the Avocado Bacon Cheese Chicken eggrolls. Doug said he would try them because he loves eggrolls. He pronounced them very satisfactory and tasty. He would probably have them again except that Manhattan Beach is a very long drive from the South O.C.

I had a cheeseburger and fries. They do serve a lot of fries with their meals and that was nice. Doug had a roast beef sandwich that he really liked. We ate at the counter because it was quicker and we had a chance to see what some of the entrees were while we made up our minds.

We did pig out over dessert. I had a three scoop, ice cream sundae that I could have easily passed on but I didn’t. Doug had a chocolate banana cream cake. I just it was good because it was gone almost immediately.

Christmas
I got my artificial Christmas tree up today and it looks fairly nice. I have to go buy some string so I can hang a half dozen more bulbs. I can do that tomorrow and then I will almost be done.

I still have two more gifts to pick up and wrap. I don’t think that will take too long. I hope it doesn’t take too long. I also need to swing by my local Cheesecake Factory and pick up a couple of slices of their White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cheesecake for the Princess. She says this is the traditional Christmas Dinner dessert. The rest of us will have either pumpkin pie or mince pie instead.

Woman of the Moment
Here are two more photos of Kandyce Marie. I sometimes get suspicious about people how spell their names in an odd manner, like Kandyce for example.



El Gringo
I went to El Gringo tonight for dinner.

Tonight was a disaster for my dinner. Valerie the Server was more interested in her boy friend than she was in the customers. It should not have taken almost twenty minutes to prepare two soft chicken tacos. When Valerie brought the two tacos, they were fried and not soft.

Valerie took the tacos back and replaced them with the two soft tacos that I had originally ordered. I was surprised that it took less than five minutes to replace the fried tacos. The indifferent and chaotic service left me upset and anxious over my food. I was upset and only managed to eat one taco.

I’m not sure what is so difficult about making a soft taco. I guess the cooks decided that I was wrong and that I should have the hard fried tacos.

Big mistake.

I’ll give El Gringo one more chance to get it right when I stop by this weekend. Let me down one more time and I am gone forever.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home