Sunday, December 10, 2006

Weekend Update - December 10th

Weekend Update
It was supposed to rain on Saturday night – Sunday morning. I don’t know if it rained or not. It could have rained when I was asleep. I think we had a storm front come through here today because it was windy this afternoon.

Christmas Cards
I finished and mailed the last of my Christmas cards on Saturday morning. I think this is the earliest that I have finished the cards in a long time.

The only other time that I could recall sending them out earlier was when I was in the United States Navy. I mailed them early because I was on the ship and the ship was at sea. Hard to find a mailbox in the middle of the South China Sea. The one good thing about mailing from the ship was that, if you timed the mailing right, you could mail for free from the combat zone.

I did mail a couple of my cards that went overseas right after Thanksgiving.

This was also the first year that I put a letter in two of my cards. I’m not sure why I did this but it seemed to be a good thing to do this year. Maybe next year, I’ll include a letter with most of the cards.

Of course, there will always be the one that I forgot to send out with the bulk of the cards but mailing out one or two more cards is not much of a task during the next week.

El Gringo – Wednesday Night
As usual, I went to El Gringo on Wednesday night. I was prepared for my regular discussion with Valerie about what I was going to have for my dinner. I had my logic well thought out and I had plenty of analogy ammunition. I was ready for bear.

Valerie was not working in Wednesday because she was studying for her finals. So much for planning ahead and preparing for an argument.

Aleesa was the substitute server. I did not recognize her at first because her hair was dyed black instead of the light brown that she had when I first met her. She also had removed the piercing in her nose because some customers where upset with it. I don’t think she liked that.

I wasn’t particularly bothered by the piercing that was “U” shaped and went through the middle part of her nose. I was tempted to ask her how her boy friend liked kissing her with the nose piercing. I decided against learning more about Aleesa than I really needed or, perhaps truly, wanted to know.

I had a Number Two Combination but I substituted the grilled, blackened mahi mahi for the beef in the soft tacos. I like to think that balanced out the rice and beans and all of the chips and salsa I had with my meal.

Visitors
We had another good week for foreign visitors. We had visitors from Texas [2], Canada [6], Japan [7], Iran, Taiwan [2], United States Virgin Islands, Hungary, Poland, Costa Rica, Venezuela, France, India, China [3], Mexico, United Kingdom [2], Netherlands, Spain, Macau, Thailand, Korea, and Malaysia.

This past week were the first visits to the blog from residents of the Virgin Islands and Macau.

I guess I can say the visitor from Iran didn’t come here by mistake.

We had fewer curious visitors this week. We had one who stopped by for 14 minutes.

There were no looker visitors this week.

I do appreciate all of your visits to the blog.

Social Me – Part 2
Haven’t gotten an email yet from Jennifer Aniston asking me out.

I figure that I’ll give her until the end of the week to make her mind up about us getting together. If she doesn’t email me, then I’ll be moving on to someone else. Don’t take too long with the email Jen.

Time Warner Cable
It’s been over a week since the TWC representative promised to call me right back.

I don’t think she’s going to call me, ever.

I can get over the lack of the promised call back. I can even offer a reasonable explanation of why she didn’t call me back. If you recall, she was going to speak to her supervisor and ask the supervisor to make some phone calls to move my service call up on the list of unhappy people.

Her supervisor probably said something like, “Look, we got thousands of unhappy people. We can’t go around calling the service people every time we get an unhappy customer.”

Then, she was probably afraid to call me back. She didn’t want to have to face an unhappy customer who was calmly assessing the merits of satellite television. She probably didn’t want to say that they tried to improve my service call position but they had no luck immediately but possibly an opening might happen where they could slot me in for service; assuming, of course, that I would be home when they wanted to come out early, an unlikely event.

I also have promise for a month’s credit on my service from when I first called in to request a service call. I wonder if TWC will keep that commitment to me.

What most customer service people don’t understand is the horrific affect on the company’s business reputation the broken promise has on an unhappy customer. That was the near fatal flaw in her reasoning.

In my case, several hundred people have read the blog postings where I ranted and raved about the poor service and the lack of commitment to the customers by Time Warner Cable. That has to be bad for the company’s reputation.

How many readers were influenced by my experience? I don’t now and any guess would be purely speculative on my part. I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that some readers may have changed their minds about TWC and opted for video service from their local phone company or considered going with the dish and satellite television.

Pop quiz hotshots: How likely I will be to include a positive comment about TWC?

Ummmm, the Los Angeles Dodgers and the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim will probably play in a freeway World Series before I say anything nice except maybe that I have dumped TWC.

For those of you that are not fans of American baseball, hell will ice over first before I say anything nice about TWC.

El Gringo – Saturday Night
Normally, I swing by Fatburger for a Kingburger with cheese and everything else and fries for a Saturday night meal. It is a fine meal and one that Doug and I will enjoy during the traditional Douguary 2007 and Chuckay 2007 celebrations.

Lately though, they have tasted on a blah side and seem to grow pale in comparison to the Original Tommy’s Burgers Double Chili Cheeseburger and fries. That plus the fact the cooking staff seems to have a continuing degree of difficultly in producing a consistent product.

Of course, one could certainly argue that when you cover the meal with a full ladle of chili, it is difficult to determine if there was any consistency.

All of which explains why I ended up at El Gringo on Saturday night for my meal. I had a blacked, grilled mahi mahi burrito for dinner. It came with no sauce or rice and beans. I had my dinner earlier than normal but I was full for the night. I did meet the Saturday evening server; Jess, which I believe is short for Jessica. Jess was very attentive and friendly.

I may end up visiting Fatburger only for Douguary and Chuckay now.

Komyo Ga Tsuji
I really missed a lot last Saturday when the cable was not functioning.

Apparently, the samurai, Lord Yamaguchi, [and I might have misspelled the name] decided to follow his wife’s recommendations and join forces with the Tokugawa clan. The episode revolved around the Battle of Sekigahawa in 1600 when the Tokugawa forces defeated the Regent’s forces decisively. From the show’s depiction, it was a very bloody, five or six hour long battle. Yamaguchi managed to distinguish himself in the battle and can therefore look forward to a reward of a larger castle and fief.

The one unusual feature for last night’s episode was a table top explanation of the battle. It was the first time in the series since I started watching that the broadcast was interrupted by a special segment within the primary show. Obviously, the table top display certainly helped me understand the maneuvers and positions.

Last night was Episode 48 so the series should be coming to close in the next few episodes. Japan is about to experience almost 260 years of relative peace.

Woman of the Moment
The blog wouldn’t be complete without a Woman of the Moment posting. This is an excellent location for the feature.



El Gringo – Sunday Night
The weekend would not be complete without Sunday night at El Gringo for me. This weekend was no exception.

I said good bye to Whitney who will be in New York next weekend. She will return by Christmas weekend but I wonder if she will be working then. Plus, I will be suffering from a turkey hangover.

Yesterday’s blackened grilled mahi mahi burrito was so good that I decided to have another one tonight. I added some guacamole. For those of you that are not in the United States, mahi mahi is a member of the tuna family and is caught generally in the mid-Pacific waters. Guacamole is avocado beaten into a paste; it was particularly tasty with the burrito.

Whitney started as my server and Jess ended as my server. That was a nice combination and a wonderful way to end to day for me.


This is me in my University of South Carolina Gamecocks sweatshirt that I got from the Princess. I was enjoying the chips and salsa.



That was my weekend gentle readers. I hope you had a great weekend.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home