Thursday, December 07, 2006

Weekend Preview - December 7th

Weekend Preview
Yeah, it’s almost the weekend now.

I have a few things to do this weekend. One is to finish mailing my Christmas cards; my cards going overseas have already been mailed so I’m optimistic that they will arrive before December 25th. I also want to spend a lot of time on the dissertation project.

The weekend weather promises to be Winter like, cool for us in Southern California.

Pearl Harbor Day – Freedom Is Never Free
I hope you all took time today to pause, reflect, and remember the brave men who died at Pearl Harbor, sixty five years ago today. I always was emotional whenever my ship would enter or leave Pear Harbor because we always passed the USS Arizona.

The Arizona was commissioned in 1916 and took part in the Great War, serving as part of the Sixth Battleship Squadron attached to the Royal Navy. After the War, she was assigned to the Pacific Fleet. The ship was modernized in the mid 1930s. The Arizona was allowed to remain in commission following the attack and subsequent sinking.

A visit to the Arizona Memorial is something every American should do once in their lives.


This is the Arizona in 1916 or 1917 after she was commissioned.


The ship was modernized in the 1930s, primarily she had a larger superstructure and masts.


This is the Arizona today, at anchor in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.

Doug
Doug stopped by for lunch today. He was on his way to his meeting when it got canceled on him. We ended up going to lunch at El Gringo a bit earlier than I thought we would. It also meant Doug got off on his other errands earlier in the day and may have missed some nasty traffic.

I had a chicken burrito which was modestly healthy for me. Doug had a Number Two Combination with two soft carnitas tacos, rice, and beans. It was a very filling and satisfying meal for both of us.

Doug and I talked about the new David Lynch film INLAND EMPIRE. He plans to see with on the opening weekend. I like David Lynch films but the initial screens here are in West Los Angeles with crummy parking. I’m hoping to see it at a local cinema with better parking and a shorter drive for me.

Woman of the Moment
Here we have some related Oksana Mazurovsky photos; by related, I mean they seem to go together. We will have a new Weekend Bonus Feature tomorrow.




I could write some more stuff but I think I will carry that over until the Weekend Update on Sunday.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home