Friday, February 09, 2007

Weekend Preview - February 9th

Weekend Preview
This is going to sound repetitious to you regular readers of the blog.

I am going to be working on lesson plans again this weekend and doing mostly school work. I had thought about getting the Prelude washed but the forecast is currently calling for rain sometime this weekend. I am fairly confident that the rainfall will be very light and just enough to mess a nicely washed and waxed car finish.

The Prelude will have to wait another week or so before I will get it washed.

School Teaching
I got my class teaching schedule for the next term on Wednesday. I don’t know if I should be happy or sad.

I will be teaching four classes, assuming for now that a sufficient number of students will sign up for the classes. I guess this means I am considered a good teacher. This is one fewer classes than I have now so I guess this is good.

Unfortunately, I hate three of the four classes. I am teaching Accounting I, dislike it; Financial Accounting, dislike even more; and Microeconomics, dislike teaching it now and I won’t like it anymore the next time I teach it. The one class that I think I will like is Principles of Supervision or Management I.

Three of my classes are morning classes so I will be able to go back to the regular blog posting schedule at the end of the month.

Sweet.

The fourth class is on Saturday afternoon from 1:00 to 4:20 PM. That just about has to be the worst possible class schedule of all. It essentially ruins the day. You can’t do too much in the morning and you will be tired to do something in the evening.

I wonder what I did or who I pissed off to earn the Saturday afternoon class?

I had another classroom evaluation this week. This is my fourth evaluation in five weeks. I guess the school wanted to be certain I was doing a good job in the classroom. The school has a rating system of 1 to 5 with 1 being the highest mark; my three evaluations are 1.2, 1.3, and 1.5 for an average of 1.33.

I knew I was a good teacher; it is nice to see that others think so as well.

The weasel who gave me the fourth evaluation is a coward and doesn’t want to show me the evaluation grades.

The school administration gets really excited about student evaluations. The students have to go to an online third party company to enter the data. I can’t coerce any of my students to complete the evaluation.

I can only nag them.

On Wednesday and Thursday, I received five emails about missing emails and three visits by department chairs or associate deans about missing evaluations. I just wish the school paid as much attention to things that matter in the classroom and to the teachers as they do to evaluations.

The school purchased two new Dell laser printers for the faculty to use in the faculty lounge [we have no offices]. This should come as no surprise to anyone with a printer; the toner cartridges ran out at about the same time since the use is about equal.

You can’t go to Office Depot and buy replacement Dell laser printer toner cartridges. The cartridges are apparently only available from the folks at Dell Computers. The school was able to find two old HP laser printers and then hook them. The school technicians were unable to reset all of the various faculty printer setups so the faculty can not use the printers until they reset their printer preferences.

Ain’t life as a teacher just grand?

Great Moments in Driving
I had a great moment in driving on Thursday.

I use one of our freeways to drive to school. Like a lot of Southern California freeway onramps, the one I like to use is metered with a traffic light to control traffic flow. It is a necessary evil.

As I was following the other cars up the onramp, I noticed that the light had turned green and remained green, meaning you did not have to stop and wait for a green light to enter the freeway. Almost all of the cars in front of me were busy accelerating and getting on the freeway and heading off to where they had to go. All of the cars in front were accelerating except the SUV in directly front of me that was being driven by either Bambi the Bimbo or Ditzy Doris.

Bambi or Doris stopped at the green light to wait for a green light, before entering the freeway. Of course, Bambi or Doris was in the middle of an important cell phone call and I guess she couldn’t be bothered with the staggering fact the light had changed to green and was staying green.

I think I would still be stuck behind these idiots if I had not honked my car horn. Acts like this are why we have road rage; drivers who are not paying attention to their surroundings and then compounding their errors by not exercising their God given brains.

Woman of the Moment
It is Michelle Yeoh’s time to be the Woman of the Moment today. These photos seem to go together better as a group.






I think we will be out of Michelle Yeoh and Gong Li photos by the end of next week. I am planning to go to the Speed Options magazine photo well for the next Woman of the Moment.


Be well and stay happy and have a great weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home