Saturday, February 03, 2007

Weekend Preview - February 3rd

Weekend Preview
It seems odd to be writing the Weekend Preview on a Saturday morning. I had planned to write it on Friday afternoon as I have been doing since I started teaching on Thursday nights.

But, I went into school on Friday to complete creation of my classes’ electronic grade books. This is a labor intensive process that took two hours plus two more hours of getting there and getting home. By the time I got home and had lunch and worked my way through the eighty emails in my in box, I was tired and it was almost dinner time.

After dinner, I read the newspaper and watched my Korean soap opera and went to bed. I did have a particularly good night’s sleep so that was great for me.

Looking ahead, I do have my Korean historical drama DAE JO YOUNG on Saturday and Sunday. I do enjoy the serials when they time travel. Last weekend, Dae Jo Young was a new born infant on Saturday and was an adult on Sunday. It will be fascinating to see what develops this weekend.

Naturally, there will be school work for me for the bulk of the weekend.

I will be going to El Gringo for Sunday late lunch or early dinner. Jess the server thought there will not be too many customers because of the Super Bowl on television. I plan to go to the mall just as the game starts. I need to buy a pair of new dress shoes; the ones I have are worn out and are close to twenty years old. I think I got my moneys worth for the old pair.

Visitors
I know I usually do the Visitors feature as part of the Weekend Update. I felt like putting in the monthly Visitors feature today. During January, the blog had a total of 500 visitors for the month. January was another good month for blog site traffic. Of course Balancing Checkbooks does not have all that much traffic like some sites do where 500 visitors is a good hourly total. Doug’s blog will have 500 visitors in a day.

I am glad you came to visit the blog and, if you enjoyed the blog, I hope you will tell your friends about it.

Job Searching and Interviewing
Thursday was an active day for this sort of thing for me.

I was in the middle of my Thursday morning class when a recruiter from Oregon called me. I had to call him back. When I did reach him, he wanted to know if I would be interested in moving to a smaller town in Oregon to become a senior commercial lender.

I had to pass on the job opportunity. The town had a population of around 75,000 and was maybe ninety minutes to two hours away from Portland, the nearest big city. I am a big city guy; I have lived in Los Angeles almost all of my life. I don’t think I would have been happy or successful in Oregon.

I was a nice guy and I offered to pass it on to someone I know who might have an interest in the position because I believe he has family in Oregon.

Then, in the afternoon between classes, I got a call from a local recruiter who wanted to know if I would be interested in a job as head of commercial business services for a large credit union in Southern California. The job would cover development, deposits and lending for businesses. I would develop the program and then head it up. This was much more interesting for me and naturally I said I was interested. We will see what develops from this call.

Lastly, I received a letter from a credit union where I had applied for the position of president that was scheduled to open as a result of a planned retirement. The search committee chair acknowledged my interest in the position and said that interviews would not start until June with an objective of having the new president designate on board in early November to allow for a two month transition. It was nice to get an acknowledgment.

From a consulting point of view, this seems like an inordinately long lead time. The credit union will run the risk of losing very qualified candidates if other positions open between now and June. Sometimes, boards of directors over plan things.

Douguary and Doug
This is Douguary.

I made our reservations for the traditional dinner at Morton’s on Friday. Our dinner will be on the 24th. There will be between ten and twelve at the dinner so I made the reservation for twelve just to be safe.

I was told that I could have a choice of between 5:00 and 6:00 PM and after 9:00 PM for a reservation. I picked 6:00 PM because that was closest to our target time of 6:30 and Doug and I both know one or more will be late so everything will work out just fine.

I did ask for Amy or Lily, if Amy is not working, to be our server. Doug and I like both of them although Amy is our favorite server.

Doug called me later on Friday to talk about his internships and to see how my classes went on Thursday. Doug said he might pick up a third internship with a casting agency but he wasn’t sure what would develop.

I told him about our dinner reservation and he said he would send out a note to the invitees. I expect that we may have one or more end up passing on the meal. That is life.

Here are the photos from the dinner I cooked for Doug and me on Tuesday night. I think you can figure out what was what. I didn’t take a photo of Doug’s chocolate éclair dessert because it did not stay around long enough to be photographed.





Odds and Ends Photos
This is a photo of the Marisa Couper, which is Doug’s car, and the Prelude. I took it a week or so ago when it was relatively nice here.


Doug bought some new shoes recently. These are his new Vans slip on shoes. They look rather comfortable but would not be very appropriate for my line of work.


Sharon
My friend Sharon called me on Friday morning and talked for twenty minutes about her world. This is something that she can do very easily.

First, she picked on me for being slow to answer the cell phone. It wasn’t my fault I was in my bedroom when she called and the phone was in the living room on a battery charge.

Then, we had a long discussion about her job and the troubles she is having with a long time vendor. Sharon was right when she said her vendor was not doing a good job of meeting deadlines. In marketing, everything has to be tightly coordinated for the campaign to be successful. It must launch on time with all of the materials ready to go. It is difficult to have a successful campaign if the launch goes off without the marketing materials to promote the launch.

In my mind, she has to find a new vendor. Almost all competent vendors who work in the marketing and advertising space are used to dealing with deadlines. When Sharon and I worked together, all of our projects had deadlines and all of our vendors were able to meet the deadlines. Of course, it did help that Sharon and I were excellent planners and allowed for minor delays and project slippages. We also were well organized and often planned a year in advance; our vendors knew this and ready for us.

Sharon wants me to come to her branch grand opening in February. I think I may go even though it is in Riverside, 909 Land for those of you who watch THE O.C. I asked her to send me the address so I can show up on time.

Woman of the Moment
Gong Li is today’s Alternating Woman of the Moment. I don’t have as many photos of Gong Li as I do of Michelle Yeoh; that is how things worked on in Google Images. There are lots of photos of her but many are small images that do not translate well into the blog and a good deal of them were duplicates.




I hope you have a great weekend wherever you are.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home