Sunday, January 28, 2007

Weekend Update - January 28th

Weekend Update
We had a little rain on Saturday. It was not much of a rain fall; it was like a trace of rain on steroids. The rainfall was just enough to make a mess of the Prelude that I was driving at the time.

On the subject of the Prelude, it ought to roll over 339,000 miles or 545,500 kilometers sometime this week.

Woman of the Moment
This will be the last photos of Jamie Frontz for the time being. Monday, we will have a new Woman of the Moment.






Visitors
We had a good week for visitors. We had visitors from Canada [2], United Kingdom, Italy [3], Czech Republic [2], Spain [2], Texas [2], Australia [3], Finland, Turkey [2], India [2], Switzerland, Malaysia, Korea, Myanmar, and France.

I think this was the first time the blog has had a visitor from Myanmar.

We had no curious visitors this week.

There was one visitor who was interested in looking at a lot of things; the visitor covered eight pages in three and half minutes.

I do appreciate each of the visits to the blog.

Weekend Bonus Feature – Eriko Sato

I was trolling through IMDb.com over the weekend. I decided to see if Eriko Sato had been in any films. I knew that she was a model and I was curious. Eriko has been in eleven television or film productions, in a number of capacities, since 2001. She seems to be an active young actress.




Doug
Doug managed to see both SMOKIN’ ACES and LETTERS FROM IWO JIMA this weekend. Of the two films, he liked LETTERS better I think. He was sort of non-committal about the films.

I had told Doug that I had invited Sharon to the Chuckay Dinner in May. When he called me today to ask for driving directions and time to get to Amoeba Records from his internship, I told him that Sharon had said that she would not be able to join us. His only reaction was a subdued, “Oh.” That means there will be one less place at the table and more elbow room for the rest of the attendees.

Depending on how Doug’s second internship works out, he may be staying with me for three or four night a week for the rest of the term and skipping the dreadful drive from behind the Orange Curtain to the studios on the Westside of Los Angeles. The commute from the beach is shorter and much less stressful for him.

Teaching School
Being teacher is not all that much fun anymore. When I taught before at the college level, the students were interested in learning and they came to class. They looked for the answers themselves and they did the assignments before coming to class.

In one of my classes, the students were too lazy to look up a definition of a term in their text book. They needed to understand the term before they could answer the homework assignment. Instead, they waited for class and asked me for a definition of the term.

I find this so distressing. Their lack of effort was appalling.

In one of my other classes, the students have to write a research paper on some socially relevant or significant and original topic. One of the students wanted to write about the correlation between smoking and illness. He was disappointed when I told him that was not an acceptable topic since the work has already been completed and the connection between smoking and illness is almost universally accepted.

My biggest disappointment with the classes is the students’ general inability to get to class on time. I can understand students who have to work late unexpectedly or get stuck in traffic.

What I cannot understand is the students who can not get to class at 8:00 AM. It is the first thing of the day. I know that when they finish school they will be working. Getting to work on time is very important to a business. All of the businesses I have worked at solved employee tardiness very easily with a termination.

My Microeconomics Class mid term examination did not go all that well. Only eight students out of twenty seven who took the test passed and that includes those who received a barely passing mark. That means I have nineteen students who are in danger of failing the class. This was after my creation of an examination study guide. I shuddered at the thought of what the examination results would have looked like without the study guide.

I will drop this mess in the department chair’s lap. The timing of the possible failures is not the best in the world since the accreditation committee is visiting the school on Tuesday and Wednesday.

I suppose that the classes would have been better if I had been the instructor from the first week. I could have set my expectations higher and demanded more performance from the students.

El Gringo
I went to El Gringo for dinner tonight as usual.

I learned why Whitney was no longer serving on Sundays.

She quit; her regular job and serving were too much for her so she gave up El Gringo and me. Well, I’m not certain Whitney gave up on me; maybe it was more like having a life and such like that.

Jess was the server tonight and she said she was likely to be the server on Sundays for some time to come. That was excellent news for me. Jess is the quintessential Southern California blonde; she is tall, probably 67 or 68 inches / 171 centimeters tall; shoulder length hair in a ponytail; and deep blue eyes or deep blue contact lens.

I also learned that Jess is a nursing student. I thought that was really neat; my grandmother was a registered nurse in New York City. I think nurses make good girl friends because they are used to dealing with unhappy people; I have never met a sick person who was happy at being sick.

I would be happy if I was sick and Jess was my nurse.



That was my weekend gentle readers.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home