Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Getting the Prelude Fixed

Getting the Prelude Fixed
For the last few months, maybe longer, I have been hearing a nasty noise that I think is coming from around the left front wheel. Since the Prelude is a front wheel drive car, anything that affects the front wheels is both serious and probably very expensive.

The noise is a combination of a rhythmic thumping and a bunch of rocks in a can being shaken and not stirred. It used to be only audible on an intermittent basis but it has gotten progressively louder and for a longer term.


I took the Prelude into the Honda dealership to see if the mechanics could find the source of the noise and then correct it. For the record and for full and fair disclosure, I had taken the Prelude into the dealership about a month or so ago for the same problem. The mechanic who worked on the Prelude found one problem but not the noisy one.

It only took the senior mechanic five minutes, the length of the test drive, to determine the cause of the noise. The Prelude has a bad speed cable that connects from the front wheel to the dash where it drives or powers the speed indicator display. It has to be replaced.

The part was not in stock. I guess this comes from driving a car that is almost nineteen year old. The dealership has ordered the part and I will bring the car in on Friday so they can replace the cable.

The good side of things is I can have my next 15,000 mile / 24,000 kilometer service done at the same time. This means I will not have to spend half of a day at the dealership in the near future. Additionally, the speed cable is not a safety issue so I don’t have to worry about a front wheel flying off of the car while I am driving on the freeway at high speed.

I just have to deal with the noise until Friday. I can do that.

On the subject of cars and dreaming that I won the big lottery prize, I might buy myself a new Bugatti Veyron 16.4, priced at a sensible USD$1,500,000. The Bugatti is made in France. I don’t see myself indulging my desire for speed that much. I know I couldn’t find a place to drive anywhere near close to what the car is capable of doing.


I suppose I could rent the California Motor Speedway for a day. NASCAR races there a couple of times a year and their cars will hit over 150 miles an hour / 240 kilometers an hour on the big oval track.

I think a better choice might be a hand built Morgan from England. It is priced more reasonably at around USD$110,000 or so. It will go faster than I can drive it legally. Besides, a convertible goes so much better in Southern California where we can drive with the top down for up to seven months; longer if we are willing to bundle up.


The only drawback with a convertible in Southern California is women in Southern California who don’t want to have their hair messed up by the wind. I would have to find a girl friend that did not mind the wind in her hair or alternatively, had very short hair.

I will worry about these and other decisions once I win the big lottery prize.

Woman of the Moment
I decided to go with a theme today for the Woman of the Moment. These images are based on Park Ye-jin’s role of Chulin in the Korean historical drama Dae Jo Young. These were the only period costume photos that I could find. I suspect that more exist but I don’t read Korean so I could not search all that well.

Yesterday, I forget to mention that Park Ye-jin has been in twelve film and television productions in her brief career.



Voting for Sanjaya – Part II
Doug was busy last night voting with my land line phone and cell phone. I asked him how many times he voted. He said he wasn’t sure but he voted more than once on each phone line.

The late mayor of Chicago, Richard Daley, would be so proud of Doug and his voting record of voting so often in the balloting.

In his blog posting from last night, Doug suggested that the prank voting for Sanjaya come to a merciful end and that we no longer will have to wonder what he hair will look like. I suppose this was after he had voted.

Dinner Tonight
I think we will end up at Giuliano’s for our dinner tonight. We were talking about what we should do for dinner tonight while we were watching American Idol. Doug mentioned that a “sausage and pepper” would be very tasty. That is an Italian sausage and peppers sandwich that is served hot. Doug will probably go for a full sized one. That is too much for me. I am leaning towards a small hot pastrami sandwich, something I can finish and not kill myself.

Of course, once we are in Giuliano’s, we will probably have to pick up something for dessert. I will pick something without much chocolate in it. I don’t know what Doug will pick. The selection is fairly large and rather tasty.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home