Sunday, April 08, 2007

Weekend Update - April 8th

Weekend Update
My thoughts of sleeping in on Saturday morning were shattered by the opening sounds of the back-up warning bells on the trucks with the aerial booms. That was around 7:15 Amish. I could have been wrong.

The warning bells were quickly followed by the dull and deep idling noise of the diesel engines that powered the hydraulic systems for the booms. The workers would not be out done by mere machines. They launched their chain saws with a recurring, fierce bravado.

Finally, this symphony of noise reached its crescendo when the wood chippers began the process of turning tree limbs into mulch. I have no idea how long the noise lasted because I left for school earlier than I had planned to leave. I was motivated by the noise.

On the plus and bright side of things, and I can find a bright side here, this was the first time in twenty years that the city has trimmed the trees so extensively at the park next door. With luck, I may miss out on the next tree trimming session.

With the trees cut back and opened up, there is a lot more light coming into my flat now. I expect the Summer breezes will be stronger this year since there are fewer trees left to block them out.

Visitors
We had an average week for visitors last week. We had visitors from Sweden, Canada [8], Spain, Japan [3], Ireland, Trinidad & Tobago, China, Texas [2], United Kingdom [3], Poland [2], India, France, Austria, Australia, Finland, Belgium, Hong Kong, Italy [2], Korea [2], Turkey, Venezuela, and Saudi Arabia.

We also had one visitor stay for ten minutes.

I wonder what I wrote that was so interesting to the Canadians.

Weather and Taxes
I did my taxes on Friday. There was no need to do them earlier because I knew I was not getting a refund this year. It was nice weather for doing one’s taxes; it was gloomy and grey and overcast and cool.

Doug
Doug called me on Friday afternoon. He had just seen the new film from Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez, GRINDHOUSE. Doug loved the film. He said one of the best parts of the film is the fake movie trailers with the one staring Danny Trejo as MACHETTE and the one by Rob Zombie as the best. The trailer for DON’T is good as well.

Doug also said that he is getting over the trip to New York City now and he even posted a small blog item on Thursday.

New Nokia cell phones
I broke down and got two new Nokia cell phones on Friday. These are for my Cingular phones. I had a Samsung phone and it worked normally fine. But, it has had an annoying habit of dying on me. It died on me on Thursday evening.

That was the last straw for me. I was in the end of my contract with Cingular so that were able to give me a decent price on the new Nokias. I have to re-up with Cingular for another two years but that is no big deal since I have been with them since 1993.

The new phones have the clamshell form factor. I really like the phones because they come with a real on – off switch, larger number keys, and a larger display with more clarity. The phones have two slick features for me; one is a button to push to open the clamshell. The other is a rubberized texture to the back of the phone for better gripping.

Of course, I have yet to completely figure out the text messaging function. I will go to the Cingular store this week to have my phone book in the other phone converted over to the new pone so I don’t have to re-enter all of the numbers. I can ask the people at the store to explain the text message function to me.

After all of these years where the cell phone was getting smaller, sanity has returned and the new phones actually are larger than the Samsungs they replaced.

Fascinating.

Woman of the Moment
Naturally, the blog would not be complete without the Woman of the Moment. I think I will use up all of the older Mao Kobayashi photos this week. You can find dozens of highly suggestive photos of the younger and other Mao Kobayashi on the ‘Net or from Google Images.




El Gringo and Jess the Server
I drove over to El Gringo in anticipation of having a couple of soft chicken tacos with rice and beans and a nice conversation with Jess the Server. Unfortunately for me, El Gringo was closed for Easter today. I came home and fixed myself a sandwich and a bowl of soup; filling and much less expensive since there was no tip to pay out.

Sudoku
Our local newspaper has a sudoku puzzle every day. I have been doing them for about a year and a half now. I find them to be an interesting mind stimulation project. Today’s puzzle was rated as being “Tough” and it was just that.

This puzzle had five rows or columns without any numbers in them at all. In proper perspective, that is five rows out of a total of eighteen rows or about 28%. That is really tough. I did manage to complete the puzzle in about twenty five minutes. I am not that great of a sudoku player. I made some educated guesses about placement of some numbers that turned out to be correct.

GRINDHOUSE
I went to see GRINDHOUSE this morning. I got lucky and saw it for the cheap price of USD$6.00 instead of the normal price for senior price [anyone over 60 and that would be me] of USD$8.00 or USD$10.00 that all other adults pay.

The film itself is just over three hours long and that seemed about right for me. It really is longer when the theater adds in all of its regular trailers. This pushed the time out to three and a half hours and that was too long. I definitely needed to visit the men’s room when the film was over. I was very glad that I did not have anything to eat or drink at the theater.

I really liked the film a great deal. I have already put it on my List of DVDs to Buy. Hopefully, it will be out for Christmas.

The theater that I went to was a very large and a relatively new one. It is not quite a year old now. The sound system was excellent; the base notes from the sound track vibrated off of me. The screen was clean and it really displayed the High Definition PLANET TERROR by Robert Rodriguez in an excellent manner.

I can fully recommend this film and so can Doug. Doug has seen the film twice now.


That was my weekend gentle readers.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home