Thursday, April 19, 2007

Weekedn Preview - April 19th

Weekend Preview
The Weekend Preview, in a word, is soggy.

The local weather forecast is calling for a 90% chance of rain on Friday, making it an excellent day to get one’s Prelude serviced. Saturday is forecasted for cloudy skies but no rain. This is probably a good day to go teach school. Sunday has more rain forecasted. I think I will go see HOT FUZZ at the cinema on Sunday.

Teaching
Saturday’s class should be interesting. The students are supposed to turn in a group project. I suspect they will come close to failing on it. One of the students recently purchased a new laptop computer that he likes to bring to class. Unfortunately, he doesn’t know how to use it yet or load programs into. This student is trying to emulate a couple of other students who take notes with their laptops.

I do not believe the students know how to work in groups. I have given them a procedural outline that they ought to follow of selecting a group leader, assigning various elements of the project, proofreading the work, and selecting one person to integrate the final document.

I doubt they will follow my suggestions.

I was disappointed with my Microeconomics class. I had warned them at the beginning of the term that this was going to be one of the toughest classes in their program and that the examinations were killers. I gave them chapter quizzes and a second set off quizzes to take at home to help prepare for the midterm and final examinations. I also gave them a comprehensive review that consisted of going over the examination and telling the students each questions subject matter.

Unfortunately, my preparation did not work. I had 60% of the class fail the examination. Fortunately for the students, this examination is not a large part of their grade so they have ample opportunity to recover and still get a good grade for the course.

Chuckay Dinner
Doug told me that his potential schedule conflict for the Chuckay Dinner at Morton’s had been eliminated. I had been considering moving it back until the middle of June so we could avoid schedule conflicts.

We have set May 6th as the dinner. We will try a new Morton’s location in Anaheim, near Disneyland. My friend Sharon usually goes to these dinners with Doug and me. She already has something to do that night and will miss out on a great dinner.

Woman of the Moment
I am going to try to show similar photos of Park Ye-jin. I sort of think this approach tends to produce a nicer visual picture. I was reading about the Korean historical drama series that she is playing the leading actress. It says that she has a tragic end. I’m guessing that means a nasty early death. That will be too bad for me.



Voting for Sanjaya – Part 3
Now that Sanjaya was voted off of the American Idol television show, Doug and I are losing interest in the show now. In the interest of full and fair disclosure, I should say that I was never really interested in the show. I merely got caught up in Doug’s voting for Sanjaya as part of listening to Howard Stern on Sirius satellite radio.


Be well and stay happy and have a great weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home