Thursday, April 26, 2007

Weekend Preview - April 26th

Weekend Preview – April 26, 2007
Well, the weekend is about here now. I ought to be looking forward to fun and frolic but having to teach an accounting class on Saturday afternoon certainly takes all of the wind out of my sails.

I agreed to teach a substitute class next Friday night. I am not thrilled by the idea of teaching on Friday night. The pay is nice and I have almost all of the students in my accounting class on Saturday. It will be a good opportunity to remind them to come to my class and to do their homework.

Right now, I am planning on going to the cinema on Sunday and see HOT FUZZ. I talked with one of my students about the film. He said it started off on the slow side but then picked up nicely. I said that it sounded a lot like SHAUN OF THE DEAD with a slow start up. He agreed that they had that similarity.

Naturally, I will be at El Gringo for a late lunch or an early dinner on Sunday. I hope Jess the server will be there.

I ordered some books today because Barnes & Noble sent a 15% off coupon. Savings money is always a good idea, especially if it is on books that you would purchase anyway. I ordered The Journey to the West, a great Chinese classic novel, a new Clive Cussler book, The Navigator, and the new Peter David book, The Darkness of the Light. The books should arrive in about a month and a half. I have to wait until the Cussler and David books are released in June. I want to get the free shipping. It felt nice to save 30% on the purchase.

The Prelude
I think I mentioned that the Prelude took a small rock in the front windshield a few weeks ago. The impact left a small chip in the window and that was about all.


On my way to class this morning, I must have hit a bump or drove over something. The little chip has developed a very nice curving crack now. I can’t feel any sense of the crack when I touched the windshield.

This is one more thing to get repaired. Unlike the new front axles or the new fuel injectors, a crack in the front windshield could happen any time. I guess I will have it taken care of in the next few months.

On the positive side, the Prelude is performing better after the last major service work. Fuel efficiency has improved by about 20%. At USD$3.35 a gallon, that is a real savings for me. I know I ought to convert the savings into dollars per liter but I don’t have the inclination to do.

Teaching
I got an email from my department chair today about low average class attendance in my Saturday afternoon class. I asked her for any suggestions since she volunteered to help me raise the attendance.
She had no suggestions.

I didn’t think that she would. How I am to compete with Southern California in the early stages of Summer? Most of my students are young, 20 to 25 and they lack any strong desire to be in class. I can’t blame them; I would not be there unless I was being paid.

Next Saturday, May 5th, will be Cinco de Mayo in Southern California. It is an excellent opportunity to go out party with friends and drink cervezas [Mexican beer] and margaritas [tequila based]. Cinco de Mayo commemorates a victory by the Mexican army over the French in Puebla during their war for independence.

I was talking with one of the teachers during a break period today. I was curious to learn if some of my students had the same trouble of getting to her class on time. They do. The other teacher even went so far as to offer a bribe of fresh bagels if they all arrived on time. She said the closest the class every got to arriving on time was around 8:20 AM when class is supposed to start at 8:00 AM. No bagels for them.

That made me feel good.

I know their late arrival has nothing to do with me as a teacher.

Woman of the Moment
Here we have Park Ye-jin. I don’t think that there is too much that I can to this simple statement.



I will try to have the Weekend Bonus Feature up early on Friday for those of you that may want to start your weekend early.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home