Thursday, June 28, 2007

Weekend Preview - June 28th

Weekend Preview – What Happened to Tuesday?
What happened to Tuesday?

Lots of things.

First, I didn’t sleep all that well after class on Monday. I finally got in bed a little after midnight and then was up around 5:30 AM on Tuesday. Obviously, I was tired and not moving around to well.

I had lesson plans to work on Tuesday night and Wednesday morning and evening classes. It takes between an hour to two hours to complete a lesson plan and lecture notes. I figure that was close to four hours right there.

The place was very low on food so that meant a trip to the market. The market that I have been going to recently is in the middle or maybe end of a major face lift – remodeling project. Aisles are closed or changed and food is not where it was last week. It takes longer to find what you are looking for.

In Southern California, we are facing a grocery strike – lockout potential. The markets plan to stay open with strike breakers and management personnel. The only two clerks at the check out when I was there were suit and tie managers. Judging from their speed at processing customers through a bar code reader, it has been a long while since they worked in a market.

I left for class early so I could avoid most of the traffic on the 91 Freeway so that cut into my time to create a blog entry. Leaving early was not too much of a solution because there was an accident on the freeway.

I didn’t learn about the accident until I was almost on top of it. The traffic reporters – readers on the local radio station apparently didn’t think it was as important as a problem with a surface street [non-highway or non-freeway] accident in the San Fernando Valley.

This brings up another grip of mine. It seems to me that the majority of the radio traffic reports favor coverage of the San Fernando Valley to the general neglect of every other area in Southern California. Of course, it could just be that the Valley has more bad drivers than the other areas.

Those of you who live in Southern California or who have driven here can voice your own opinions and they are probably correct.

Weekend Preview
I do have some things to accomplish this weekend for a change.

I plan to drive to DVD Planet.com and pick up a couple of DVDs. I have a few dollars left on my Cingular rebate VISA gift card. It expires soon and I do not want to lose the value on the card.

Of course, there are the usual errands to run like going to the cleaners to pick up my laundry.

Hopefully, Jess the Server will be back at El Gringo on Sunday for my usual late lunch – early dinner meal. It is possible that Jess may have moved on to another El Gringo location or just moved on since it is the Summer and I believe that she enjoys the beach.

It seems hard to imagine that the year is almost half over but here it is, almost July now.

Vivian’s Man of the Moment
One of the outcomes of my lunch last weekend with my friend Vivian was her willingness to provide me with some more names for her Man of the Moment project. The project started last year when Vivian said that there ought to be equal representation and exposed skin. Vivian pointed out that a young woman, much like herself, could read the blog and probably would enjoy seeing an attractive male once in a while.

The Princess thought Vivian’s Man of the Moment was a good idea. But, that was before the Boy Friend came along.

Vivian works in the entertainment industry and helps arrange loans to produce filmed entertainment. This work environment naturally produced a selection that runs towards young actors.

This week’s Man of the Moment is Henry Cavil. Cavil played one of Henry VIII’s boyhood friend in the made for television miniseries THE TUDORS. I didn’t watch the program since I do not have the Showtime programs on my cable service. Surprisingly, I could only find a very limited number of images when I did a Google search for images.



Teaching
Yesterday, I had two students get dropped from my evening class. The school has a policy of automatically dropping students who miss three consecutive class sessions; actually, it is twenty two without being in class. That seems reasonable and these students have never shown up for any classes.

I am going to lose two more students from Wednesday night. They have missed two consecutive classes already and the third class session will be next Wednesday which is the Fourth of July holiday. There will be no classes but the twenty two day rule still applies.

I am truly saddened because I will also lose another student in my Wednesday morning class because she has missed two classes in a row and be affected by the Fourth of July class cancellation.

I have had her in two other classes and I know she wants to go to school. She does her assignments and works hard to learn. It is hard for her because she is the first in her family, I believe, to go to college and her family does not recognize how hard it is to work and go to school. I am afraid that she may drop out of school and not continue with her education.

I spoke to the dean about her situation to see if there was anything that could be done to help her. Unfortunately, this is one of those rigid, black and white policies that the school has no option or leeway to work with.

Woman of the Moment
This is the last regular Woman of the Moment appearance for Bipasha Basu. I will have to look for some more South Asian actresses for Women of the Moment in the coming weeks and months.




Sharon Tay
I happened to see Sharon Tay on the local news show today. She was reporting on a solar power equipped back pack that could recharge your hand held electronic devices like cell phones and MP-3 players. The back pack came with a bunch of adapters so you could use with a variety of technologies.

I wasn’t excited about the idea of wearing a black back pack to recharge my cell phone but I would suspect it would be good if you were traveling on vacation in the Summer and you were in a foreign country.

Sharon was wearing a nice sun dress but she didn’t look like she had been out in the sun and had acquired a Southern California tan. The Summer is still young and she has time to develop a nice tan.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home