Sunday, June 17, 2007

Weekend Update - June 17th

Weekend Update
Doug and the Princess called me on Fathers’ Day within about fifteen minutes of each other. They wished me a happy and relaxing and great day.

On Friday, I wore one of my Tommy Bahama aloha shirts to class. Instructors can dress in business casual in the Summer. That is a really nice gesture on the part of the administration; who wants to wear a suit in the middle of Summer. Two women who work at the school said that I looked very nice in the shirt. I felt very nice after they said that to me.

I managed to do some cleaning but not as much as I had planned to achieve. I will be bale to catch up on what I had missed during the week and on the weekend. I will have some laundry to take care next weekend.

Visitors
The weekly visitor traffic was off again this past week. I think this is a combination of weak writing on my part and Summer vacations distracting the visitors. I expect to have a better June 2007 than I did for June 2006 when the final tally is made at month end. Right now [Saturday afternoon], we only need another 42 visitors to the blog and we will surpass the 2006 results. I am confident that we can achieve that goal.

We had visitors from Cote D’Ivorie, Australia [3], Canada [4], Germany [2], United Kingdom, Italy, Iran [2], China, Hong Kong, Somalia, France [3], and Ireland. I wonder what the visitors from Iran were looking for or at.

Do you suppose the Iranian visitors wanted to see what a women looked like without the burka or chador or whatever they call that head to toes robe their women wear?

Naw, they wouldn’t do that.

This was the first that the blog has had a visitor from Somalia.

We also had two visitors who stopped and visited more than one page. One was here for sixteen minutes and the other was here for ten minutes.

I do appreciate all of you who take time out of your schedules to visit the blog.

2LDK [2 bedrooms, living room, dining room, and kitchen]
The title of the film comes from Japanese newspaper advertisement for a rental. I would have never guessed what the title meant in a long time.

This is a film that stared Eiko Koike, one of our Women of the Moment, as one of two struggling actresses who share an apartment. The two roommates are complete opposites in almost every respect. One is a borderline obsessive compulsive and the other one is a borderline slob. Not the best matching for a successive space sharing arrangement.

One of the actresses is one her way up and the other is on the verge of falling into oblivion and failure. They are both the finalists for the leading actress role in a film that will make or break their careers.

They both love or want to love the same man.

What starts out as a simple roommate annoyance over labeling food in the refrigerator and using the other’s soap quickly escalates into deadly violence with swords and chainsaws.

It is a short film, only about 70 minutes. It takes place after they both had their screen tests and read throughs for the film and covers that night and into the early morning the next day. There are only two actresses in the film with a couple of telephone voices.

It is an interesting film and one that I enjoyed. I’m not sure if I am recommending it. I think I will watch the DVD again in a few months.

I won’t spoil the ironic ending for any of you decide to watch the film.

MOONCHILD
MOONCHILD is one of the other films in the Danger After Collection.

I liked the film but I want to have Doug’s impressions and reactions before I recommend it to anyone. He seems to like films like this one. This film is just under two hours in length.

I guess the best way to describe the film, in a thumbnail sketch, is to call it a film that John Woo might make if we wanted to make an existentialist vampire film set in Japan. It is not your run of the mill vampire film with the requisite fountains of blood and sleeping in the caskets.

At best, this is not a film for everyone.

Doug
Doug and I went to Albertacos on Friday for lunch after my class.

We also celebrated Father’s Day. Doug got me some unusual DVDs that included SAMURAI 7 – Volume 3, an anime based on Kurosawa’s classic SEVEN SAMURAI. He also picked out another Japanese film, THE GLORIOUS LIFE OF SACHIKO HANAI. This film is from the Japanese pink genre. It is on the short side and it was interesting.

Doug certainly has unusual taste in films

We were successful in finding an old movie poster store that has posters for films that he loves for sale. Most of the posters appear to be in good condition. Now, all I have to do is to make some selections on the posters and go forward from there.

It looks like I may not being going to Albertacos that frequently in the near future. Doug said he was cutting back on his beef consumption and this would be his last No. 8 Combination for a while.

I certainly enjoyed my No. 8 Combination and cleaned my plastic meal box.

I suppose that Doug will be cutting back on going to Fatburger and to the Original Tommy’s Hamburgers now as well. If he is cutting back, then it looks like I will be going there alone for the foreseeable future.

We will be able to continue to visit El Gringo and El Burrito Junior since they both serve chicken.

Doug and I talked about his job searching. He seems to be getting interest since he has been going out regularly and has gone back for second interviews with the decision makers for two jobs. Hopefully, he will be able to find a good job soon.

DVD Planet
I stopped at DVD Planet on my way home from Doug’s house on Friday. I wanted to cash in my Cingular cell phone rebates. They came in the form of a VISA gift card so I decided buying DVDs would be a good use of my time and gift card. Stopping at DVD Planet of Friday was even better for me since they were having a 20% off sale.

Sweet.

I picked up five more DVDs. My collection is slowly growing and it looks like I may have to purchase some DVD racks. If I buy some more racks, I will have to rearrange the paintings in the living room to accommodate the extra racks.

My Friend Sharon
My friend Sharon called me on Friday, just as I was sitting down to my dinner. I picked up the phone and said, “Hello.”

“Where were you last weekend?” was all that Sharon could say. Then, she went on to say, “I’ve been trying to reach you all week long.”

“Ummmm, I was out. I would have called you if you left a message. I’m pretty good about returning phone calls.”

Since she has her boy friend, I think I can go out by myself when I want to. It seems fair to me. I don’t ask her what she does when she is with her boy friend.

Anyway, Sharon wanted to talk and complain about her work. She also wanted to tell me about a couple of job openings at her company. She thinks that things would be better if she could work with me since we get along well professionally.

I will send her my resume so she can turn it in.

Knowing Sharon, she will claim any company referral fee.

Sharon also talked about the Princess’s bridal shower that was here. Sharon had made plans to go out of town and couldn’t attend. She said she wanted to go but had made the plans.

Woman of the Moment
We will start the week with a new series of Bipasha Basu images. This is always an excellent way to start out.




Teaching
My new classes seem good so far. Three of the five classes have prior students; there is only one new student in these three classes. This helps reduce my work in the classes since I know what to expect.

For example, I know not to expect the students to show up at 8:00 AM for the morning classes. 8:00 AM is just the suggested, but not mandatory, starting time for the class in their minds.

One of the other two classes is composed of all new to the school students. These students seem to arrive on time. This is my largest and I think I will have about thirty students. I could be wrong because the roster was fluid all week long last week. Hopefully, class attendance will sort itself out this week.

The other class is mostly all technical types and none have been in any of my classes before. It remains to be seen how this class will turn out. I think I have close to twenty students in this class.

El Gringo
Jess the Server was not at El Gringo today. Jessie the Server was filling in for her. Jess the Server was away for Fathers’ Day.

Jessie the Server wished me a Happy Fathers’ Day; that was very nice of her although she did not know if I was a father or not. I guess she just assumed that I was since I am an older man and I was eating along; the children having grown up and moved on. I will admit that it was a highly reasonable assumption on her part.

Jessie the Server was well rewarded for thinking of me on Fathers’ Day.

Jessie the Server also said that she thought Jess the Server would be back next Sunday.

I tried something new today for a change. I have been going to el Gringo long enough so that there are very few items on the menu that I have not tried before. I usually skip over the ones that have no appeal for me. Today, I had a grilled mahi mahi burrito that I asked to be served “wet”; that is, served with a burrito sauce on the burrito and with a small side order of sour cream and guacamole.

On balance, the burrito turned out very tasty and I am likely to have it that way again when I feel like a grill mahi mahi burrito.


On balance, that was my kind of boring weekend. I don’t think next weekend will be much more exciting for me.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home