Thursday, July 19, 2007

Weekend Preview - July 19th

Weekend Preview
Ah yes, another wonderful weekend in here and I am ready to enjoy it.

I had planned to spend part of Saturday and Sunday in my local cinema multi-plex, catching on this Summer’s films. It now looks like Sunday is going to be my day for the cinema. That is fine with me.

One of the things that I will not be doing is going to the Southern California Tattoo Expo that will be held this weekend. I am just not all that interested in seeing peoples’ tattooed bodies. I don’t want to meet this person for example.


On the big plus side, the Dow Jones Industrial Average closed barely above the 14,000 mark today. This is a milestone or kilometer marker for the American economy. Since some of my retirement money is invested in the stock market, I feel a little wealthier today. Maybe I will be able to afford going Burger King for a Whopper with Cheese when I stop working.

This being a weekend, I naturally have stuff to do around the flat; cleaning and laundry of course. I also have to take the Prelude in for smog control device check some time soon so I can renew the car’s registration for another year. Come September, the Prelude will be nineteen years old.


I never ever thought I would own one car for so long.

When I was driving home from school last night, I managed to accidentally hit and kill a feral cat. I had just come off of the freeway and I was slowing down to make a turn on the exit road. I saw the cat dart in front of the Pathfinder and knew that it would clear the truck.

For some unknown reason, the cat reached the side of the exit road safely only to turn around and try to re-cross the exit road. I was unable to stop because there were cars behind me and I could not swerve because there was an oil tank truck next to me.

I hit the cat and, if I did not kill, the car behind me surely did because it followed my path completely.

I did not intend to hit the cat; it just ran in front of the Pathfinder and I had no options that would not result in harm to other humans including myself.

When I got home, I thought about the cat. I wondered what would have happened if I had not stayed later at school to talk to my students about a group project they are working. I wondered what would have happened if I had been driving a bit slower and closer to the speed limit. I wondered what would have happened if I had taken a different exit from the freeway.

In the end, I decided that there was nothing that I could have done and then I went to bed, around midnight.

Doug’s Posters
I was out running some errands today. I stopped by the framing company to see how Doug’s posters were coming along. They will be done by early Saturday morning. I will pick them up around Noon and then drop them off with Doug.

This will make Doug very happy and will present a minor challenge over where he will put them in his Mother’s house.

That is not my problem.

Vivian’s Man of the Moment
There will be no Vivian’s Man of the Moment this week. Her favorite feature will reappear next week with an attractive young actor.

Teaching
On Wednesday, the school had a career or job fair. It could have been better if the students had more notice of the event. I never received a formal email notice; I only saw a flyer in the hall. Better notice could have produced better results.

Also, the school had free bar-be-cued hot dogs, chips, and soft drinks for lunch and for dinner. That was a nice benefit for me since I was at school from 7:20 AM until 10:30PM, a very long day.

I had a very good class on Wednesday. I did lose four students. They were dropped for nonattendance. They missed three classes in a row. I know one student was trying to withdraw. I started with a roster of 31 students and now it will be 16; I never saw some of the students, some appeared on my roster on Monday and were gone by class on Wednesday.

The smaller class will be more fun for students and for me. I can give the students more individualized attention and assistance. Some of them need academic and emotional encouragement from time to time.

I also learned that two staff members suffered serious medical events at school recently, within the last week. One of the math instructors may have experienced a mild heart attack; he is out for the rest of the term. The other staff member may have suffered a mild stroke.

I never thought of teaching as being a high risk profession, aside from paper cuts and white board marker dust on your hands.

Woman of the Moment
I seem to have developed a pattern of having the Woman of the Moment at the end of the blog posting. I think this is because I got used to reading Star and Stripes when I was in the United States Navy. The paper had a photo of a model in a bikini on the back page when my ship was in Vietnamese waters during the war. Star and Stripes is a newspaper published by and for the members of the military.






I hope you all have a good weekend.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home