Thursday, July 26, 2007

Weekend Preview - July 26th

Weekend Preview – July 26th
The weekend is here again and I am looking forward to catching up on my sleep. The Wednesday classes are a real sleep killer for me. I got home from school on Tuesday around a little after 10:00PM and it was closer to 11:00 before I can get to sleep.

I was up at 5:30AM on Wednesday so I can be to school in time for my 8:00AM. I stay at school until the night class because of the time, a couple of hours, involved with going home and then coming back for the night class and cost of the gasoline to power the Prelude. I left school a little after 10:00PM and it was close to midnight before I crawled into my bed.

That made for a long day for me. I will be going to bed early tonight and getting some of my lost hours of sleep back.

I did notice that mid-grade gasoline, 89 octane, was selling for $2.995 a gallon or $0.80 a liter on my way home from class last night. Maybe I will be driving more in the coming weeks.

Comic-Con, the big comic books and film convention in San Diego, is being held this weekend. Doug and I have been going to Comic-Con off and on for maybe ten or fifteen years. Since Doug had no compelling interest in going this year, I will be staying home and resting.

I will also be writing a test for one of my classes, grading papers and assignments, and creating lesson plans for next week’s classes.

I haven’t made up my mind if I am going to go to the cinema this weekend or not. I do have a lot of things to get done and catching a film will suck up three to four hours of my time.

Teaching
We had our monthly faculty meeting on Wednesday.

The monthly faculty meetings are required by the administration and the accreditation agency. I don’t know why we have them since almost nothing gets done except that the meeting produces some nice minutes and I guess everyone feels good.

One of the faculty members at the meeting was complaining about students who are parking in the faculty and staff spots in the parking lot. I thought this was a very small tempest in a tea pot. The other instructor should have been more upset about the faculty and staff members who take up two parking spots with their sloppy parking.

The school is starting its regular faculty and course evaluation program tomorrow. This means I will have to nag my students and probably drag or shame some of them into completing the evaluations.

Evaluations are more important than teaching the students, it seems.

I find that to be a strange outcome.

On Monday, I ran into one of my Tuesday students before the Monday class. I asked the student if I count on seeing him in class tomorrow night and I also asked about the missing assignments the student had to turn in. The student said that he would be in class with the homework.

The student did not show up for class and obviously did not turn in the assignments.

I am not sure what troubles me more; the lack of student ethics or the willingness to lie to your instructor. I know I would never lie to any of my professors at any level of college or university.

It will not surprise any of you, gentle readers, when I say this student will probably fail the course. And, it is not a difficult course to pass, so long as you complete all of the assignments.

My Neighbors
As many of you know, I live in a building. It is an old building and parts of it are wearing out now. Plumbers had to replace part of a drain pipe in the building on Monday. The drain pipe had become corroded over the years.

The walls lack the degree of sound insulation that you would find in a modern building.

I got home from class on Tuesday and found my new neighbor had left the bathroom fan on and left the flat. I know because I knocked on their door to complain about the noise. The fan motor is beginning to fail and the bearings are wearing out, making a loud noise.

I had trouble sleeping on Tuesday and the fan was still on when I woke up on Wednesday morning. Thankfully, it was off when I returned home on Wednesday.

I can not, for the life of me, understand how or why my neighbors could have left their noisy fan on and then left. If I could hear it loud and clear in my flat, then, they must have been able to hear in their flat.

They could not even apologize to their neighbors for their thoughtless and inconsiderate action.

I just hope I remember to turn my alarm clock off when I go to Atlanta in a couple of months for the Princess’ wedding. If I forget, the alarm will go off for three days and play rock and roll music for an hour each morning until I return home.

Woman of the Moment
I think now is as good a time as any to end the blog for today. Faline Song is always a great way to end the blog. Today’s images are just the ones that are left. I am out of themes now.







Be well and stay happy.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, found this site through a google search.. yes.. we search our own name sometimes :P Just wanna say thanx for posting nice things about me. Have a nice day.

Faline Song

5:39 PM  
Blogger Chuck Reinhardt said...

Cool Faline.

It is always nice to receive a comment. I will be certain to visit your web site, http://www.miss-faline.com on a very regular basis. I think it is safe to say that you will be back for an encore of the Woman of the Moment.

Be well and stay happy,
Chuck

8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home