Sunday, September 16, 2007

Weekend Update - September 16th

Weekend Update
I’m not certain that I will get all that I planned to complete this weekend. I changed my cable service a bit so that I now get the Versus Channel. The only reason to make the change is that Versus carries Mountain West Conference football including the UCLA – Utah game from Salt Lake City.

I checked the Sharon Tay website on Saturday. It is still in an under construction mode. I wonder when she will launch the web site.

Speed Options still has not updated their model of the month feature. They are still showing the model from July. I would think that they could update the feature since it is now the middle of September.

Visitors
We had another good week for visitors. We had visitors from Germany [2], Australia [2] Chile, Spain [3], Texas [2], united Kingdom [3], India [2], Singapore [3], Canada [8], Ireland, New Zealand, Korea [3], Brazil, Hong Kong [2], Philippines, Belgium, Italy, Taiwan, Greece and Hungary.

We also had two visitors who stopped and spent some with the blog. One stated for twenty three minutes and the other stayed for twenty seven minutes.

I do appreciate all of you that took time out of your schedules to visit the blog.

Utah Football
The Los Angeles Times had an article on Tuesday about how badly beat up the Utah team is. In the first two weeks, Utah had lost its quarterback Brian Johnson, top running back Matt Asiata, wide receivers Brent Castell and A. J. Reilly, offensive tackle Jason Boone, defensive end Gabe Long, and line backer Matt Martinez. They were all starters.

Our Utes also lost back-up tight end Colt Sampson.

Ouch; losses of that nature are tough to overcome.

Weather wasn’t a factor in the game. It was clear and sunny and warm in Salt Lake City Saturdays afternoon.

The game was broadcast by the Versus Channel. The broadcast was about average for non-major network. The one thing that I didn’t like was the fact that Versus did not have a score crawl across the bottom of the screen so I could see how schools were doing.

The Princess called during the final minutes of the first half. She wanted to know if my friend Sharon was going to go to the wedding since today was the RSVP deadline. The Princess hadn’t received one from Sharon.

I said I hadn’t sent mine in either. She said, “Daddy, I know you’re coming.”

The Princess was very pleased when I told her that our Utes were up by the score of 10 to 7 at half time. The Princess and I talked off and on during the game until my cell phone battery started to fail. We called after Utah scored.

Utah 44 UCLA 6

Epic.

The game was over around the twelve minute mark of the first quarter when Utah went ahead 7 to 0.

I wonder what the score would have been if all of the Ute starters were healthy and played in the game. Oh well, I can’t worry about what might have been. I just know it would have been a bigger margin of victory for our Utes.

My brother will be very happy. He went to the University of Southern California and always roots for USC and whoever is playing UCLA.

Tomorrow’s Los Angeles Times Sports Section will have a very nice coverage of the game. I will send it off to the Princess. I know she will enjoy the article.

My Friend Sunny
As many of you know, I have chatted with a number of people over the last ten years. We usually have met because they sought me out to practice their English with me.

One of my current chat acquaintances asked me to help me pick out an American nickname. She said her Chinese name is too difficult for Americans to pronounce. I thought for a moment or two to come up with a name that I thought matched personality and would be easy to pronounce.

I suggested that she consider Sunny.

She was not excited by that recommendation. She wanted some other choices.

Since my friend is going to graduate school in the South, I went through some logical Southern choices like Melanie and Scarlet. She didn’t care for those choices.

In the end, my friend said that Sunny was a good choice after all.

College Classes
Some schools and universities have courses that are questionable in my mind. I used to think that courses in subjects like Exercise Management were bogus and only offered to give the athletes an easy course to pass. You know, like basket weaving.

I think I found a new educational low for a college course for academic credit on Thursday.

Pitzer College, one of the Claremont Colleges, is offering a course on You Tube. The students watch You Tube video clips and then discuss the clips. Pitzer is a top level, private liberal arts school and is located in Southern California.

Where was the Academic Senate when this course was approved?

What will the parents, who are paying around USD$30,000 a year to send their children to Pitzer, say?

At least I know that all of the courses I have taught will be able to help the students earn a living after graduation.

Doug
Doug will be staying with me for the next two weeks or for most of the next two weeks. He has a temporary job as an assistant with a production company on the Sony Pictures lot. I will try my hand at cooking again since he will be here for dinners.

Woman of the Moment
I only had one thought about these photos of Mary Castro.

I hope that wasn’t poison ivy she had in the photos. As an eagle Scout, I ought to remember what poison ivy looks like.




My Friend Sharon
My friend Sharon, not Sharon Tay, called me on Thursday evening. She was on her way home from work.

Sharon wanted to know what I had been doing and how I was. That was nice of her; to show an interest in me. Like most conversations with Sharon, I listened and she talked.

We talked about the Princess’ wedding. Sharon said that she didn’t think she would be able to go because she is going to have to stay close to home to take of her mother who broke her foot. Sharon had wanted to go to Atlanta because she has never had a chance to go there. She wanted to go sight seeing and shopping.

I told the Princess about Sharon’s mother and that she didn’t think she would be able to go to the wedding. The Princess understood completely. These things happen.

Market
I went to the market on Sunday. I will be back at the market on Monday to pick up the dinners for Doug and me during the week. I feel proud of myself for not having another Mocha Mudslide from the Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf store in the market. Once in a week is enough for me.



That was my weekend. I hope you had fun this weekend.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home