Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Felling Ill Is No Fun

Feeling Ill Is No Fun
I am getting better now. Feeling ill is certainly no fun. Yesterday was sort of a mess for me.

I didn’t sleep all that well the night before. I decided to take a nap after lunch so I would be rested for class last night. My nap was interrupted by the building fire alarm that rang for about forty minutes. It is rather loud so that killed most of my nap.

Then, I went to school earlier than usual to take of care some administrative stuff before class. The drive was better than usual so that was nice for me for a change. The drive home was nice too; the freeway traffic flow was low.

I was watching the noontime news on one of the local television stations. Like most places, we have names for specific regions or areas. For example, I live in the South Bay while Doug lives in South Orange County. For those of you that remember the television program “The O. C.,” there is a part of Southern California called the Inland Empire, also known for its Area Codes of 909 and 951.

I bring this all up because the weather news reader – clown kept confusing cities in the High Desert and placing them in the Inland Empire. It is a difficult task to do because they are close to 50 miles – 80 kilometers apart and they are separated by local mountain range. I was so frustrated by his stupidity. If you are going to talk about the geography of an area, you ought to know the major elements.

The weather news reader – clown is an idiot. Normally, I would cut a new person on the job some slack. We all would. Unfortunately, the clown has been here for over six months and that is long enough to learn the location of various major cities in the region.

My next rant is about traffic reports.

You can get a traffic report about every five minutes in Southern California. The reports are designed to help you avoid accidents on the freeways, a solid idea in theory.

Unfortunately for me, the local news radio stations seem to think the San Fernando Valley section of Los Angeles is worthy of coverage on every report. Other parts of the region get covered less frequently.

I was driving to class on last Wednesday. I read a report that said there was an accident that was blocking two lanes of traffic on a freeway that I was on. I got over to the traffic lane that was furthest away from the reported accident and hoped I could slide through smoothly.

Wrong.

The accident was in the lane I had moved to. A Federal Express delivery truck had crashed and partially was hanging over an overpass guard rail. What a mess. Had the report been marginally accurate, I could have avoided most of the mess by driving on surface streets until I was past the mess.

Yesterday was a better day for traffic reports for me. I heard about a mess on one of the freeways that I would take and how the accident, three lanes were blocked from an overturned truck, had backed up traffic in the area. I followed surface streets around the accident and saw the stopped vehicles on the freeway that I was driving parallel to. I got on the freeway and rolled on to school.

Woman of the Moment
This is the next to last posting of Tamao Sato as the Woman of the Moment.




I don’t have anyone in mind for the next Woman of the Moment so I am open to taking any suggestions from the readers. We could even do a revival of some Woman of the Moment from the past. All you have to do is post a comment with some one’s name and we will see what happens.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home