Thursday, September 27, 2007

Weekend Preview - September 27th

Weekend Preview
Doug and I are supposed to go to Fatburger for dinner tonight. This is convenient for us since he has been getting home from work rather late; last night, he got home about 8:00 PM. I don’t wait until he comes home for my dinner. I get hungry and need to eat. Tonight, I will snack a bit to stave off hungry and a noisy stomach. We can go to Fatburger, get out order to go, and have dinner at the flat.

We also need to go to Fatburger because I have a coupon for a free order of French fried onions rings. I hate to pass up free food.

Tomorrow, I am scheduled to have lunch at Chicago Ribs in Redondo Beach with an old co-worker. He is buying so I am definitely eating. It will be good to get together and talk about the changes at the old company; it is changing so fast that I can hardly recognize it. I can also hardly recognize the strategy the new CEO is pursuing.

Teaching
I need to finish the lesson plan for the class that I will miss when I go to the wedding next month. I have about half of it completed now and I just need to polish everything and reduce it to a Word.doc document so the substitute can easily work with it.

My department chair asked me to teach two evening classes as a substitute. The extra money is nice; I could buy two dozen DVDs with the substitute pay. The instructor I would be filling in for does a poor job of preparing substitute lesson plans. Frankly, I find that to be very unprofessional. The school requires all instructors to have lesson plans so I fail to see why he can make a simple photo copy and hand it off to me. I will probably go ahead and do teach the courses.

Today’s class was interesting for me. I lost one student because she has missed three consecutive sessions; this is a school policy. That was a disappointment for me. I don’t think the student really wanted to be in school. I asked her yesterday when I happened to see her if she was going to be in my class today. She said she would.

Oh well, life happens.

Vivian’s Man of the Moment
My friend Vivian has a new Man of the Moment. He is the actor Ryan Gosling. Vivian saw him when she went to the premier of his new movie, LARS AND THE REAL GIRL.

Vivian really likes him. I can see why; he is 73 inches – 185 centimeters tall and Vivian is a tall woman.


Perfectomundo.

Doug and I both enjoyed his performance in HALF NELSON for which he was nominated for the Best Actor award in 2007.

I wonder what happened to Cute CAA Boy who seemed to wander into to her life recently. I guess I will have to wait until I have lunch with Vivian in October after I return from the wedding, Vivian wants to see the wedding photos or at least the ones I have.

I have to admit that I hadn’t heard of the film so I went to IMDb.com for some help. I picked up this reviewer’s comments.

“Lars, played by last year's Academy Award best actor nominee Ryan Gosling, is an unusual 27 year-old man. While he is somewhat normal in that he can drive a car and hold a job and go to church, he is painfully introverted and shy. He lives in a small room off of a garage and not in the main house with his normal brother and normal sister-in-law.

His life is an ever-repeating internal life with no other human breaking in. And then, his fellow cubicle worker gives him a web site address where he can order an anatomically correct plastic woman, and to exact specifications. She, a very attractive piece of plastic named Bianca, arrives via UPS and his immediate family and the town are never the same.

How should the family and the small town treat Lars and Bianca? They can't ignore it because Lars takes Bianca everywhere in his car and a wheelchair. His family seeks advice from a Medical Doctor/Psychologist. They convince Lars that Bianca is sick and needs weekly check-ups.”

That sounds like an interesting movie to me.

Woman of the Moment
I was somewhat concerned about the Woman of the Moment feature when I first started out with it. I know there are some readers who will find the photos offensive or bothersome while others will enjoy them.

I asked my friend Vivian what she thought about the feature because she is a young woman and she is involved in the entertainment industry where most of the Women of the Moment have come from.

Vivian said that these women are trying to become a success in the entertainment industry and there are literally thousands of similarly situated young women who are trying to do the same. Creating web sites and then posting these photos of themselves is one way for them to boost their personal brand images and awareness in the industry. Vivian pointed out that no one forced them to post their images or seek this type of a career [as a model or actress]. Since the young women have a very short time to become known and a success, this is one reasonable calculated step to achieve that goal.

Vivian went onto point out that humanity has had images of attractive young women around since before the Greeks and Romans. The only differences are societal changes in what is considered attractive in each era and the media by which the images are displayed. The Internet is just the latest media vehicle. There will be new media vehicles as society invents new methods of transferring and displaying images.

Vivian made me feel better. It makes sense when you look at the images in this perspective.

All of which leads to the end of the Mary Castro photos.





I hope you all enjoy your weekend. See, I told you that I would have a longer posting today.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home