Monday, October 01, 2007

Leftovers

Leftovers
I had some leftovers from my dinner with Doug last night at Fleming’s in Newport Beach for my lunch today. For the record, our dinner was great. Amy was our server and I enjoyed the really warm hug from her. I think Doug liked his hugs as well.

Amy wanted to know why I hadn’t called recently. I said that I was waiting for you to get over your oral surgery. Amy had her wisdom teeth removed and then had another surgical procedure. She had the last stitches removed last week.

“The last time I spoke to you on the phone, I could tell how painful it was for you to speak.”

“Yeah, I’m still a little swollen as it is now. You’re right but please call me.”

“Sure, I’ll call you Amy.”

I enjoyed the meal but the size of the portions was unreasonable. Fleming’s seemed to want to overwhelm me in food. The portion could have easily feed two. As I drove home, I was mentally appalled at the amount of wasted food every night. I fail to see any benefit from all of the excesses with the food.

Doug and I talked about the upcoming Douguary Dinner. As many of you know, I tend to plan far ahead. I had suggested that we could have it at Fleming’s so Amy could be our server.

Doug said no. We had to go to Morton’s for Douguary. Douguary belongs at Morton’s and to go elsewhere would be so wrong.

In the end, I think Doug is right. Fleming’s is nice and the beef is certainly very good. But, it doesn’t compare to Morton’s and probably never will. Morton’s attention to detail is much better.

For example, at Fleming’s, you are served with a plate of vegetables and dips to eat while you think about your order. Our platter had a radish on it that was turning black from decay. That would have never happened at Morton’s.

I ordered lobster tails because I had had been eating a lot of beef. Lobster is served with melted butter except for my meal last night. The food runners knew or should have known that the lobster tails required melted butter. I didn’t get the melted butter until I had finished with the lobster.

Lastly, when you dine at Morton’s, the managers will walk around and speak to each table individually and they will attend to any problem immediately. The Morton’s managers know and understand how to make a customer feel welcome.

At Fleming’s, customer service is an after thought. The managers do ask how everything is but only as they dash past your table and on to the next one. The Fleming’s managers do not appear to consider waiting until the customer has finished eating the food in his or her mouth before asking them a question about the meal.

Moving on to the next course.

Visitors
We had a total of 482 visitors to the blog in September. This was a nice increase over last year’s total 331. The total visitor count since June of last year, when I had to start over with Sitemeter.com was 7,190.

Nice of you all to stop bye.

Our National Anthem
One of my friends sent me a video clip about our National Anthem the other day. We had both served in the United States Navy during the Viet Nam War. I think we consider ourselves to be patriots.

Unfortunately, the video clip was a complete and total failure for me.

It made me feel bad to be an American. The author of the clip demonstrated that he or she knew so very little about our country and its heritage.

The fort was Fort McHenry not Fort Henry. Fort Henry was captured by elements of the Army of the Tennessee under the command of Ulysses S. Grant in 1862. Fort Henry was the first victory for General Grant

There were no women and children inside of Fort McHenry as the video clip author would have you believe. They had been evacuated to the countryside with the arrival of the British fleet. Everyone knew the fort would be bombarded and attacked.

There were no colonists at Fort McHenry as the video clip author would have you believe. The 1,000 or so defenders were citizens of the United States of America. The battle was fought during the War of 1812; well after we had won our independence from Great Britain.

Why can’t people do some simple fact checking about such an important event, the writing of the words to our National Anthem?

Accurate information is readily available from United States government web sites like the National Park Service. Hell, even Wikipedia go its facts correct about Fort McHenry.

In the end, I am still proud to be an American but ashamed of those who know so little about our Nation’s history. Maybe if we made it harder to become a citizen we wouldn’t have such glaring errors.

I wonder how many innocent people have seen the video clip and had their minds and impressions altered by their viewings?


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home