Friday, October 26, 2007

Weekend Preview - October 26th

Weekend Preview
Let’s see; where I am now in my recovery?

I have been sleeping well lately and this is good for me.

When I was in the Torrance Memorial Medical Center for the surgery, my room was adjacent to the fifth floor nurses’ station. That was noisy as you would expect, nurses have to talk and take care of the patients.

There was a Latino in the room next to me. It seemed as if everyone in the very extended family decided to visit him, small children were dressed as if they were going to church and had no place visiting the patient at 9:30 PM. Hospital rooms are small. It is a hospital after all.

So that meant all of the thoughtless, inconsiderate, uncaring people went out in the hall and carried on their conversations in loud voices. Did these people have no consideration for anyone else? How could they be so inconsiderate and uncaring?

I finally complained to my nurse and she finally took some action and asked them to either speak softly or go to the first floor lounge that was designed for conversations.

I picked up my release from my doctor so I can go back to teaching. She thought the incision was very nicely done and there was no sign of infection. She counted 21 staples in my abdomen. That was nice.

One of the things about having lower abdomen surgery is that everyone wants to look at the surgeon’s handiwork. The surgeon came in and visited me everyday as did the family practice doctor from my medical group. Naturally, the surgeon took a look at her handiwork; so did the family practice doctors.

Every time the nursing shift changed; it was look and show time for them. This all takes away any sense of privacy that you had hoped for. It was one thing for the surgeon to look at her work and that was only once a day. It didn’t seem too invasive for me. I can see how and why the nurses would want to look at the incision since they might notice the beginnings of an infection or other trouble before the surgeon saw me next. The surgeon is older than any of the young nurses so I doubt it was anything new to her. I suppose that it might have been new to one or more of the young nurses.

Anyway and moving on to other things.

I talked to Doug this morning. He went behind the Orange Curtain yesterday to go do some laundry and take his mother out for her birthday dinner. Doug is planning on coming back up to my flat on Sunday afternoon. I caught Doug as he was waiting to go see LARS AND THE REAL GIRL in Aliso Viejo.

I got my release from the doctor yesterday. I will be back in the classroom on November 5th. That will be nice for me expect for all of the class work that I will have to grade from being away for three weeks. My department chair is happy also.

I plan to get up early tomorrow so I can get a jump on my laundry. I am about out of clothes. I will also work on cleaning the flat up tomorrow as well.

I also spoke to the Princess yesterday. I called to check in with her and let her know I was doing with the recovery process. This weekend is the big Halloween Party in Atlanta. I asked her if she was still going as a Bridezilla. The Princess does have the dress for that costume.

The Princess told me that she was going as Princess Leia.

“May the Force be with you Princess.” The Golfer is planning to go as a nun and be the designated driver. I guess the Princess will be having a lot of fun at the party.

My cousin from Connecticut called me on Wednesday. I think it was the first time that I have spoken to him in decades. He called out of concern because of the fires. We talked for about half an hour about the fires and our families.

That is what is ahead for me.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home