Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving - November 22nd

Happy Thanksgiving
I want to wish all of you a very Happy Thanksgiving. I hope that you can share and reflect on the meaning of the holiday. This is a quintessential American holiday and has it roots in the early European colonization. The holiday is especially important to me because I can trace my ancestors back to the Puritans who formed Massachusetts Bay Colony.

One really nice thing about Thanksgiving is that there is very little commercialization of the holiday. It is a good holiday about food and celebrating with family and friends.

This is the first year in a very long time that I have not cooked a Thanksgiving Day meal. I was unsure about my recovery speed when I came home from the hospital so I am going to have my dinner with my ex-wife and son at their house.

Christmas dinner will be at my flat again.

Recovery – Part 6 or maybe Part 5A
I don’t have a lot to add to my recovery progress today. I am now half way through the second week of my first chemotherapy cycle. I have had no adverse affects so far. I will finish this cycle on the 26th and then I am off chemotherapy until I see the doctors again on December 7th.

Teaching
It looks like I am going to have some students fail one of my classes. They will fail for the same reason; they did not complete the assignments. Two of the assignments count for 52% of the course grade so it is impossible to pass the course if you don’t complete those elements.

I suppose that I should feel sorry for the students. I can’t feel sorry; after ten weeks of constant nagging there is nothing left to do. The students have to take some responsibility for their results.

The school revised my teaching schedule for the next term. I will only be teaching three courses instead of four that were originally in schedule.

Life and schedules happen.

I lost my Saturday afternoon class. I think that is a good outcome because Saturday afternoon classes are difficult to teach because the students don’t want to be there. They leave at the middle of the course break and do not return. The course would have been a new one for me and it did not look all that interesting from an academic point of view.

One of my students did not complete all of her assignments because she went into labor. Now, I will have to go talk to the Dean about how I handle an incomplete grade for this student.

If I was heartless, I would argue that she knew she was going to deliver at the same time as the term ended and that she could have planned ahead for the assignments. Pregnancy, after all, takes time to develop so it was not a sudden event like my emergency operation last month.

Asian Personal Computer Keyboards
This has always made me wonder. I know that almost all keyboards are based on the Western alphabet and are very limited in size. I have seen Korean reporters, in this case, typing on a western sized laptop at a news conference and then having the traditional Korean character appear on the monitor screen.

My question is this. How do the computers process the typing? I am sure that there is a simple answer that is obviously eluding me right now.

Anyone out there have an answer for me?


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home