Sunday, November 04, 2007

Weekend Update - November 4th

I told you that my postings would be irregular for a while. This week should bring more organization to my life and the blog.

Recovery Part 3
I went to see the urologist who put a stent into a urethra to improve the drainage from one of my kidneys. This was a side benefit from the blocked intestine operation I guess.

The procedure seems to have been a complete success for me. I have no irritation from the stent and no discomfort. I have to go back in six months for a follow up appointment. The stent is a metal one that can last a year or so. It is less susceptible to failure than a plastic stent. Unfortunately, the stent only lasts a year before it has to be replaced so I can look forward to a replacement procedure next October.

I ordered some medical supplies that I need. I placed the order on Tuesday. The supplies were shipped from Southern California. They were here when Doug and I returned from the urologist’s office. I thought that was good, prompt service. I had an email from the medical supply company when I got home from dinner with Doug. The email said the order had been shipped today.

One of the nice things about my stay in the hospital was a self regulated morphine drip for pain. I could push a button whenever I wanted to and get a supply of morphine through an intravenous tube. The supply was regulated naturally to prevent abuse and potential addiction.

I could push the button as often as I wanted but the pump would only allow me to have a morphine dose once every twelve minutes. Still, that was very, very nice and much appreciated by me.

Shelly the Nurse was a true angel of mercy. She adjusted the morphine dose from a twelve minute cycle to an eight minute cycle.

Epic.

Unfortunately, Shelly was my nurse after the bulk of the pain and discomfort from the operation had subsided. By then, I didn’t really need the morphine.

I think Shelly was my favorite nurse. My next favorite nurse was Cecile. They were both great with me. I should have had Doug take a photo of Shelly and Cecile for me when he was visiting me at the hospital.

I received an appointment notice at the oncology clinic for next Friday. My intestine was blocked by a cancerous tumor and I am facing some radiation and chemotherapy over the next few months.

I was talking with the Princess about my oncology treatment and the possibility that my hair may fall out. The Princess said the shaved or bald look was a great time saver in the morning and I could cut down on hair care products as well.

The Princess would know about the benefits of lack of hair. Her husband, the Golfer, shaves his head.

October Visitors
We had 512 visitors to the blog for the month of October. I consider that result to be very good, especially when you realize that I wasn’t posting for the first two weeks of my recovery and that I have stopped posting the Woman of the Moment.

I do appreciate all of you who stopped by the blog.

The Princess
I received the Princess’ Wedding video DVD on Saturday. I was amazed that the final version was cut, edited, had sound added, approved, produced, and delivered in only three weeks. I have seen reports on the local television station about wedding video production that take forever to produce a terrible product, ruining the couple’s wedding experience and memories.

The music selections were excellent. I particularly liked the opening music selection of Louis Armstrong singing “It’s a Wonderful Life.”

I was very happy with how my portions turned out. I wished I had smiled more but I was in some pain and smiling was a challenge for me. I was able to smile at the important parts. My father of the bride speech came off very well and I was able to have the guests laugh at several of my jokes. The jokes were safe ones because the Princess had approved of them before the speech.

Some of the bonus selections featured Doug dancing and rocking out with some of my cousins and some of the Princess’ friends from graduate school. He seemed to be having a lot of fun. I was not dancing because I felt so bad and weak. I would have liked to have been able to dance with the guests.

I would have really liked to have some of the wedding cake. I am told that it was great. I was surprised to learn that my niece the Nutritionist was sucking all of the icing off of the wedding cake and leaving the cake behind.

So much for healthy eating and buying dolphin safe tuna recommendations from her.

The wedding video DVD runs about an hour and twenty minutes and includes a bunch of bonus features.

Nina the Server
Doug indulged me on Thursday when we went to dinner at El Gringo. For Doug, El Gringo is only “ok,” he prefers to go to El Burrito Junior instead. But, El Burrito Junior does not have Nina the Server working there.

Nina did remember me and that was a high point for Thursday for me besides seeing the urologist and getting a clean check up. Unfortunately, we had a late dinner and Nina was busy with other customers so we did not have much of a chance to talk. I am planning on going to El Gringo on next Thursday to see Nina and have some dinner.

I had a Number 2 Combination and so did Doug. I had soft chicken tacos and Doug had soft carnitas tacos. The combinations come with fried rice and refried beans. That really filled me up. I felt full until Friday morning.

Visitors
We had visitors from China [4], Indonesia [3], Netherlands Antilles, Japan [4], Texas [5], Canada [7], Egypt, Netherlands [2], United Kingdom, Korea [2], Ireland, Thailand, Germany, Spain [3], Italy, Australia [2], France [2], Portugal, Macau, Poland, Belgium, Malaysia, Austria [2], Singapore [2], and Mexico [2].

We also had one visitor who stayed around and visited the blog for thirty two minutes.

I do appreciate all of you who took time out of your schedule to visit the blog.

Weekend Bonus Feature – Mai Hosho
According to the Internet Movie Database, Mai Hosho had appeared in fifteen films and televisions series in her career. I stumbled across Mai when I saw a Japanese film SUICIDE CLUB where she plays a nurse along with Tamao Sato.

These photos seem to be from a set or series of images. I’m not sure what they are supposed to represent. I just thought they were very interesting. Interesting images are almost always good for the blog.





Doug
I talked to Doug on Saturday. He went to see the new film AMERICAN GANGSTER on Friday night. Doug really liked the film and is ready to go see it again if I want to go see it this week. I think I will be able to see it this week or next week, depending on how things go with school on Monday.


That was my weekend and part of last week. I think I could write a few more things. I will save them for later when I run into a mental block.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home