Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Random Thoughts and Bad Karma

Random Thoughts
I made our lunch reservation at Morton’s on Sunday evening. We will have lunch around 1:00 PM and that is not too late. This will be more like my dinner so I will be having a light dinner that Thursday. The receptionist who took my reservation did not know Lily the Server so she may have gone off to bigger and better things. For all we know, Lily could have graduated from California State University Long Beach by now.

Doug and I have learned to handle a new server. It is not the end of the world for us.

I saw Sharon Tay on the local television news broadcast on Sunday night. She was reporting from the Hollywood Santa Parade. That was not the big news story of the day in Southern California. The big news story for the last few days has been the wildfire in Malibu.

Sharon’s web site is still not functioning. I guess she is taking her time to build the site properly. Maybe it is not that important to her now.

On a related note, the Speed Options web site is not functioning properly either. It has not been updated since July 2007 and that would seem to indicate that there may be some trouble with Speed Options itself. This is not a major concern for me since I am no longer having a Woman of the Moment feature.

I contributed my part to Cyber Monday and made an online purchase from Amazon.com to purchase some software that would run on Windows Vista Business. The old software was designed to run on Windows 98 and it died when I tried to load onto the new laptop.

I weighed myself this morning. I tipped the scale at 174 pounds / 79 kilograms. I am up two pounds / one kilogram from last week’s measurement. I figure that the Thanksgiving Holiday played a part in the weight gain. My quart and a half / one and a liter of Haagen Daze super premium mocha ice cream with chocolate chunks in it certainly did not help my plan to stabilize my weight around 170 – 172 pounds / 77 – 78 kilograms. I ought to be able to lower my weight in the next week or so.

Recovery – Part 7
I finished my first chemotherapy cycle on Monday. So far, so good; I feel fine.

I started walking for exercise. I am walking about a mile; I didn’t bother to convert the distance into kilometers. I am planning to walk three times a week and then work with weights on the off days. I think the exercise program will help my recovery.

The exercise program is based on the weather. I won’t be walking in the rain in the Winter. We have a tentative Winter weather forecast of a La Nina Season; that generally means a drier Winter so walking ought to be fairly steady for me.

Bad Karma
I usually teach a class on Monday nights. I have missed the Monday night [American] professional football games until this week.

I think I should have been in class. The football game was crummy; the field was a near swamp with almost steady rain and cold. Horrible conditions to play the game under. But, it was Monday night football so I settled in for a nice game.

The game was a scoreless tie until the 59 minute and 43 second mark of the 60 minute regulation play period. One team kicked a three point field goal and the final score was 3 – 0.

What a terrible waste of my time. I could have been reading a book. I could have even gone to bed early. Everyone makes bad decisions from time to time. This was one of my bad decisions.

Teaching and More Bad Karma
I went to school today to turn in my grades for the term. I only had one student fail. Actually, the student failed himself because he did not complete most of the homework assignments. If the student had completed two or three homework assignments, he would have passed the course. I don’t feel bad about the failure since I gave him extra time to complete them and email them to me.

When I was at school this morning, I checked on the tentative enrollments for my courses for next term. My Tuesday morning class is scheduled to have ten students and my Thursday morning class is scheduled to have four students. Those classes will be fun to teach since I can approach the course like a graduate level seminar with lots of student contact and discussion.

My Saturday writing class is scheduled to have 30 students. This will be a killer class for me; I will be reading and grading writing assignments every weekend. I know that some of the students are very weak writers who have trouble spelling properly and do not know how to write a proper English sentence.

I guess the Saturday class is my bad karma for having two fun courses this coming term.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home