Friday, November 30, 2007

Wrapping Up the Loose Ends

Wrapping Up the Loose Ends
It has rained for most of the day in Southern California.

Can you believe that? We actually had a good, for us anyway, amount of rain. We can look forward to some mudslides in the coming weeks in the areas that were burned over in the recent wildfires.

You know it is a slow day for local television news when the local station opened its mid-day news report with the “Storm Watch” segment.

I was going to go to the market today. That got rained out; I have no desire to wade through a market parking lot in the rain. I can get the food this weekend.

One of my friends sent me an email that had a link to the Chinese language school website. The school had a very good hook to catch one’s attention. They had a program that would take your non-Chinese name and birth date and would create an appropriate Chinese name. I tried the program.

My Chinese name would be Ran Sheng-han.

Fascinating.

I also started working on my Christmas cards. I got most of the cards addressed so all I have left to do is sign my name on the cards and on the Christmas letters. I hope to be able to finish the cards on Saturday.

Teaching
My school where I teach had what is called in the education game an in-service session on Thursday. This is a fancy name for teacher training. It counts for the accreditation program. It was very useful for me because I learned about the new grading and attendance system that is supposed to go live on Monday when the new term starts. They also gave a nice lunch and a nice breakfast. Food is always helpful at times like these.

The other two educational sessions were lost on me. One was on Photoshop and I was in over my head just after I logged into the test – training web site. I figured out that it would be easier to send the photo to Doug and then let him work on it on one of his Apple machines and then send it back to me as a .JPEG file.

Perfectomundo.

The other training session was how to use the function keys in Microsoft Word. I gave up on function keys when the graphic user interface came to Windows 3.0.

Still, it all looks good on the records at evaluation time.

My Friend Sharon
My friend Sharon called me on Thursday evening.

This was out first call in maybe three months. I used to call her but I soon gave up on that futile exercise. When I called her at work, she was always busy or just about to go into a meeting. I never know where or what photo to try to call her after work or on the weekends because she is doing something or going somewhere.

Anyway, we talked for about forty minutes as she drove home from her office. We talked about the Princess’ wedding and how wonderful it was. I asked Sharon to be a guest speaker for my Marketing Research class this coming term. She is a marketing professional and has won awards for her promotions and other activities. Her current promotion is running at 159% of its goal and, obviously, everyone at her bank is very happy with the results.

I will have to nag her to get her to make a commitment to speak at my class.

My Non-Haircut
I was supposed to have a haircut this morning from my favorite stylist, Amber.

I am a morning person and like to get things done early in the day. My appointment was for 9:30AM. I sent Amber an email to remind. The receptionist called Amber to remind her that I was coming in for an early appointment.

I am also a very punctual person. I arrived at the salon at 9:28. It was raining on the hard side, for Southern California, so I ran a little from my car to the salon.

Today was the first time I have been in the remodeled salon. I think the new salon is a quantum improvement from the dark old look. The new look is more open and brighter. The ceiling is exposed and this is a solid modern look without being oppressive.

I had lots of time to take in the new salon look as I waited for Amber to show up.

I also had lots of time to talk to Natalie the Receptionist. I really like Natalie; she is bright, happy, always smiling, and a great conversationalist. We talked about Thanksgiving and our holiday plans.

While I was waiting, the owner of the salon showed up and was surprised to see me waiting for Amber to show up. She apologized and suggested that I might want to go do some other things and come back in the afternoon. I thanked Molly for the suggestion but the extra trip was just so not going to happen because I had no assurance that Amber would be there and that she would be able to cut my hair. Besides, I did not want to waste any more gasoline.

Natalie spoke to the owner about having her cut my hair. I graciously declined this offer and said I would wait a little longer for Amber to show up.

At 10:35, Amber phoned the salon to say she just woke up.

I had previously set a mental time limit of leaving at 10:45 if Amber had not arrived at the salon. It was easy for me to put on my coat and walk to the Pathfinder in the light rain.

Natalie tap danced over the eggshells to tell me that Amber was just getting out of bed. I think she was expecting me to get furious and blow up. I remained calm and collected. There was no need for her to apologize for Amber’s nonperformance today. I said that I would call Natalie in a couple of weeks, after I start my second chemotherapy cycle, and reschedule the haircut. I said I wanted to see how the next cycle would affect me.

Natalie wanted to know if I was OK. I explained a little about the cancer and the treatments. I didn’t want to go into a long explanation as I was in the process of leaving the salon.

I had some time this afternoon to think things over about my feeling toward Amber and the Molly Moon Salon. I don’t think I want to go back to Amber because she and I are completely opposites when it comes to time and commitments. I suppose I could try the owner since she offered to cut my hair today.

In the end, I concluded that the only reason why I continue to go to the Molly Moon Salon or consider going there for a haircut is Natalie the Receptionist. Natalie is the only reason why I would drive twenty five miles – forty kilometers to the Naples section of Long Beach for a haircut.

Natalie makes it all worthwhile for me. The amazing aspect is that all Natalie does is talk to me while I wait for Amber. That and take my appointments and call to remind me about the appointments.

Absolutely fascinating for me.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home