Monday, December 03, 2007

I Typed Too Soon

I Typed Too Soon
I typed too soon yesterday. Shortly after I posted the Weekend Update, my cable went to hell again. I was glad that I didn’t cancel the service call that was scheduled for today.

I had time to think what the problem with the cable service was. I concluded it was probably the cable box and not the cable itself. If the cable was bad, I wouldn’t have been able to have a good and normal image yesterday morning.

My cable appointment was set for between 9:00 AM to 12:00 Noon. This meant that my trip to school to setup my new course grade books would be later. The cable service technician showed up just before 10:00 AM. That wasn’t bad at all. He tested the cable and said it was fine. Then, he checked the cable box. The box was bad. He planned ahead and brought a new box from the truck with him. The new box did not function at all; the second box worked just fine.

Initializing the new cable box took longer than the technician had planned. I think he was here for about forty five minutes or maybe a bit longer waiting for the initializing signal to come across the cable.

Now the technician tells me that he has to leave to finish his other jobs. That is understandable. He told me his supervisor is going to come out to my flat and work on the box but I have to leave for school.

The technician left and I took a bathroom break before I drove out to school. When I was finished in the bathroom, my television was working properly. I guess the initialization signal came through while I was reading in the bathroom

I think I am good for another five or six years before the new cable box goes out. Maybe I will have gone to satellite television by then or given up on the medium. In five years, I might be getting my television over the Internet aided by a Lenovo laptop.

Teaching
My first class is on Tuesday morning. The school has a new attendance and grade book program that went live today. I went in to set my classes up ahead of time. I wanted to save some time and trouble. I figured that taking my time would produce a better result and fewer trips to the Associate Dean for technical assistance to clear up any mistakes.

Logical.

I also wanted to see how many students I had in my classes.

Lastly, I needed to turn in a grade change on the one student who was unable to email me his assignments. I got them last week after the grades had been submitted. With the additional assignments, his grade went from an “F” to a “C”.

The new grade book system worked very well for me. I managed to set up all three of my classes in about an hour. My Saturday morning class looks like it is a real killer. I have 29 students in my Composition II class. This means I will be doing a lot of reading and paper grading this coming term.

Shopping
I did some more Christmas shopping on my way home from school. I am no where near finished yet. I am very far ahead of my usual shopping schedule and that is something to be proud of I guess.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home