Sunday, December 09, 2007

Weekend Update - December 9th

Weekend Update and Time Warner Cable
I got my Christmas card mailed on Thursday. I think this is the earliest that I have mailed them except for when I was in the Navy and my ship was overseas as it was 1967 and 1968.

My new Time Warner Cable decoder box failed on Friday.

Just like the one it replaced, I was visited by the ghost of Christmas past. I had electronic snow, black screens, garbled dialogue, and shaking images.

I tried calling TWC customer service but gave up after being on hold for twenty minutes on a Saturday night. I suppose some of you will say that I should have stayed on hold a little longer because my chances of reaching a live person would be much better after the long wait. Those who would suggest that did not have to listen to the crummy music and the really annoying message that my “call would be answered by the next available customer service person.”

This leads me to one of two semi-obvious conclusions. First, TWC does not have enough operators to handle all of the trouble calls. Second, TWC wants to save money and cut back on evening shift operators.

After hanging up on TWC, I went to check my email. I had a reminder from Amazon.com that an author I like is getting ready to release a book and I could pre-order it now.

Excellent.

I went to Barnes and Noble.com because they sent me an online coupon that was good for an extra 15% off any purchases I might make in the promotion period. My savings amounted to a total discount of 25%.

I ordered four books so I will be ready in a few days to hold out until TWC fixes the problem with my cable box.

The Recovery – Part 8
Doug and I went to see the oncologists on Friday. It was more of a marathon spent sitting on uncomfortable chairs and benches. The visit was a follow-up for my first round of chemotherapy with just one pill. I went in for tests on Wednesday.

On balance, the test results were encouraging for me. Doug gave them two thumbs up. The doctor said my results were normal which is good for me. One or two tests were slightly above normal but not by much and the increase could have come from eating before I took the test.

I rescheduled the start of the infusion part of the therapy from December 14th to January 11th. It is not a long delay and one that will work best for me. Doug plans to go with me when I get my PIC Line on January 10th. A PIC Line is a peripheral intravenous catheter. It is used to get the drug into the bloodstream quickly and therefore on to the affected areas. A PIC Line is a semi-permanent device in my arm.

The doctor was pleased that I had gained two pounds between visits. She said that was a good sign.

This doctor also wanted to take a look at my scar. She said she wanted to see if it was healing properly. I think she just wanted to look at the surgeon’s work. This must be a doctor’s thing. Several other doctors, including the surgeon, have previously said it had healed up very nicely.

Visitors
We had a wild week for visitors. I didn’t keep good track of who came to visit the blog so my count is off. I just don’t know by how much it is off. We had a total of 190 visitors to the blog this past week. I was only able to count the country of origin of about half of the visitors.

We had visitors from Macau, Germany [5], Ireland, Costa Rica, Canada [5], Netherlands [2], Pakistan, Japan [2], France [2], Malaysia, Texas, Thailand [3], Peru, Poland [2], Switzerland, United Kingdom [2], Spain, Indonesia [2], Finland, Australia, Philippines, Bulgaria, Columbia, Korea, Austria, Brazil [2], United Arab Emirates, and Lithuania.

We also had one visitor who stopped by for just over eleven minutes.

If I missed your country in the national acknowledgements, I regret the omission. I do appreciate all of you who took time from your busy day and visited the blog.

Now, if I could just figure out what was so interesting this past week, I would be very happy and I could probably write better.

Lunch at Morton’s
Doug and his friend Rob joined me at Morton’s Santa Ana for lunch on Thursday. The lunch menu is almost the same as the regular dinner.

I think I mentioned that Doug was cutting out red meat for 2008. He wants to eat healthier. Going to Morton’s is permissible at anytime and is not subject to the no red meat rule.

Good, we can have the traditional Douguary and Chuckay Dinner Celebrations.

I ate a light, for Morton’s, lunch. I had a Morton’s salad; romaine lettuce, chopped egg, anchovies and a green goddess dressing. I also ate too many sections of their hot bread. My main course was a smoked salmon club sandwich with salmon, sliced onions, sliced tomatos, capers, and lettuce on toasted bread. I ended up taking part of my sandwich home and it became my dinner. I had a small dessert; only three small scoops of vanilla ice cream.

Doug and Rob had sliced beefsteak tomato salads, small rib eye steaks, and Morton’s hot chocolate cake. I will probably treat myself to the Morton’s cake for Douguary and Chuckay.

Lily the Server is no longer working at Morton’s. Life happens and we were almost immediately over that trouble. We had a new server, Kelly, who only works lunches. We won’t be seeing Kelly anytime soon I guess.

Utah Football
Our University of Utah Utes are going to play in the Poinsettia Bowl on December 20th. They will play the Naval Academy in San Diego. This is good for the team to go to another bowl game. It will help with recruiting I think.

I am somewhat conflicted as to which team I should root for. I did graduate from the University but I also served as an officer in the Navy.

Decisions, decisions.

Weather
Our local television news readers were trying to out do each other this past week. You have to understand that even a small storm is big news here. All of the local television stations go into their “Storm Tracker” mode of operations.

Some unlucky reporters get to stand out in the rain and, yes, report that it is raining at their location.

Our big storm was supposed to arrive on Thursday night and stay with us until sometime on Saturday. We had some rain on Thursday night and a clear Friday. We only had scattered showers on Saturday.

The storm was a disappointment for me. I was expecting more out of it.


That was the rest of the week and my weekend. I hope you all had great weekends.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home