Monday, January 14, 2008

Recovery Part 10

Recovery Part 10
I started my chemotherapy on Thursday and Friday. When I saw the oncologists for the first time, they indicated that I would be given a drug called Avastin. I guess they changed their minds and now I am taking Oxaliplatin. I also get a couple of other pills when I get an infusion. I also take some Decadron and Zofran.

Decadron is a cancer drug for colon cancer. Nice. Zofran is an anti-nausea drug to counteract some of the possible side effects of the other drugs. So far, I have had no noticeable side effects from the chemotherapy.

Doug came to the clinic on Thursday and Friday to keep me company and just to be around to encourage me. Doug stepped out of the room during some of the procedures. He does not do well when the nurses were working on me.

The chemotherapy infusion went well on Friday. I was in and out in about three hours. That was a good time for me since the actual infusion took two hours and change. Doug and I stopped at El Burrito Junior on the way home from the chemotherapy for lunch. I had a chicken burrito. It went down very well.

Digging for Dirt
Inserting a PICC line [peripherally inserted central catheter] is a complicated process. First of all, the nurses [see Baby Blues below] have to find a vein that is large enough for the PICC line. That seems straight forward until they went hunting for a good vein.

Over the years, I have given about ten gallons – 38 liters of blood. That is a lot of my blood. The nurses at the American Red Cross always had the easiest time taking the blood from my left arm. Naturally, I figured the Baby Blues would have similar success.

The Baby Blues tried for an hour to work the PICC line into my left arm. No success. Then, they tried the right arm and were successful after about a half hour of additional work.

Getting the PICC line into your arm is only half of the process. The end of the line has to be properly placed. My line is 21 inches – 53 centimeters long. After the line was inserted, the nurses took an x-ray to determine if it was the end was in the proper place. Actually, an x-ray technician took the x-ray and developed the image. Then, the radiologist or the oncologist had to make the determination.

This takes an awful lot of time. There is a great deal of waiting. Fortunately for me, I had some new books to read while I waited and I had experienced the hurry up and wait syndrome from my time in the Navy.

The Baby Blues had to make an adjustment to the line. It was too far into my body by about half an inch – one centimeter. The adjustment was followed by another x-ray and review.

The adjustment was fine. Doug and I left the clinic around 4:30 PM; we arrived at 7:00 AM. That was a long time at the clinic. On the plus side, I was able to finish one of the new books.

Baby Blues
Glenda and Jennifer are the Baby Blues. I had thought about calling them the Blue Angels. I discarded that idea because some of you who know I served in the United States Navy might confuse the Baby Angeles [nurses] with the Blue Angels, the Navy flight demonstration team. I will give Doug credit for suggesting the name of Baby Blues. He said that was what Russ Limbaugh called his oxycontin medicine. I like Baby Blues since they wore light blue gowns and masks and gloves.

Glenda spent most of her time digging in the dirt, trying to get the line in me. Jennifer helped her. Jennifer massaged my chest to get me to relax so Glenda could get the line inserted.

I said the massage “was better than having a girl friend.” The Baby Blues giggled at that observation. The massage did feel very good for me.

Jennifer said that the line was going to be with me forever or as long as the chemotherapy lasts. She said it was going to be my new best friend forever.

I said it sounded like “the line was like a wife only there was no alimony when it came out.” The Baby Blues giggled some more.

The Baby Blues were there when I came back on Friday for the infusion [injection of the drug]. Glenda asked why I was there. I said I had so much fun with them on Thursday that I thought I should kick off my weekend with them. Glenda laughed when I said this.

I think I may have been the most positive and upbeat patient that had seen in a while.

The Tinglies
One of the consequences of the Oxaliplatin is that my nerves became highly sensitive to cold. This is a neurotropic side effect of the drug. It is not too bad because it goes away after a couple of days. By Monday, the impact of the drug was fairly minimal on me. I get infusion once every three weeks. The impact is felt like when your hand goes to sleep and then the blood goes back in.

On Friday, this was a little painful because it was on the cool side when we left the clinic. I was over the sensation quickly and it was not a burden for me. I should also point out that the Pathfinder has an excellent heater that helped take away most of the chill.

Open Season on Ice Cream
I was reading some literature on chemotherapy and my medication on Friday after Doug and I got home from the clinic. Lean meat is very good; Morton’s is on the list of places to go for food.

I also discovered that ice cream was approved since ice cream provides a lot of calories. I do love ice cream, particularly chocolate and coffee and coffee with chunks of chocolate. These are all on the rich side so there will be a lot of calories.

Doug said “this sounds like open season on ice cream Dad.”

Yes it is. The season is open and there is no limit.

I am planning to go out and hunt up some ice cream on Wednesday. I will also break in a new coffee mug with the ice cream as well.

Weekend Update
If you happen to be a reader of the SkeetOnMischa Empire, now located at http://skeetonmischa.tumblr.com, you will know that it is warm in Southern California right now. The snow on the local mountains is melting away.

Snow melts and life goes on.

I did do a lot of reading. I read four books between Thursday and Sunday. The books were all novels and were ones where I was familiar with the characters and the general plot lines.

Doug
Doug came over to the flat on last Wednesday. He is planning on going home on this Friday or Saturday. On Friday, I have another session with the oncologists and a CT scan; a full day at the clinic again.

Last Wednesday, we went to Kincaid’s Fish & Steak Grill at the Redondo Beach harbor. It is best known for seafood, obviously. As it turned out, we both ordered the same meal; grilled mahi mahi stuffed with crab leg meat and grilled baby asparagus. We each had a salad; I had a bowl of clam chowder also. Not surprisingly, I had ice cream for my dessert.

I think I have been eating more with Doug out here. We go out for food more frequently than I do when I am here by myself.

Yesterday, Doug and I went to see THERE WILL BE BLOOD. This was the first time for me and the third time for Doug. Obviously, he had enjoyed the film. He calls it a masterpiece and one of the best films of 2007. I would agree with him that it is one of the best films of 2007. I liked it since it was based, in part, on the California oil fields in the early twentieth century.

We both recommend the film. There is some violence but not very much. The language is mostly PG-13.

Doug’s iPod died on Wednesday. It was three years old. I got him a new iPod for his birthday, with a capacity of about 8,000 CD albums. That is a lot of music. It was an early birthday so now all I have to do is pick up a card for him. Doug has spent the last few days transferring song from his laptop to the new iPod.

Giuliano’s and Semi-sweet, No Nuts Chocolate Chip Cookies
Giuliano’s is my favorite local Italian delicatessen. I have been going to the deli since 1980 or so. I usually go for a sandwich; sometimes a prepared salad. I introduced Doug to Giuliano’s a couple of years ago. He has adopted it as one of his favorite places to go for food.

They make their own cookies.

We have fallen in love with their semi-sweet, no nuts chocolate chip cookies. We usually pick up two or three when we go there.

I told Doug that the cookies have calories and are therefore a good food to eat during my chemotherapy. Doug thought I was reaching for a point too far.

Visitors
We had another good crow of visitors from around the world this week. We had visitors from Sweden [4], Bulgaria, Japan [11], France [4], Iran [6], United Kingdom [4], Malaysia [2], Germany [9], Texas [3], Canada [19], Philippines [2], Venezuela, Italy [2], Kuwait, Poland [2], Saudi Arabia [2], Ecuador, Australia [2], Indonesia, Slovakia, Singapore, Finland, Peru, Czech Republic, Turkey [2], Ireland, Panama, Guatemala, Korea, Netherlands, Colombia, and India.

I wonder what the visitors from Iran are finding so interesting with the blog. Maybe it is my witty banter and sense of dry humor. Or, it could just be the Women of the Moment.

This last week was not a good one for me to check on visitors. I may have missed some visitors; life happens.

We did not have as many visitors who stopped by for an extended visit as we did last week. Maybe these visitors are more efficient. We had one visitor for 17 minutes, one for 15 minutes, two for 13 minutes, and one for 11 minutes.

Amber the Stylist
I got a cryptic text message from Amber the Stylist on Thursday.

At least, I think it was a cryptic message. But, then again, I don’t get all that many text messages. I think Doug gets more text messages in a day than I have ever received.

Amber is happy that she will cut my hair on Wednesday. That is particularly good for me because, since I can’t get my dressing wet, I can’t take a shower and wash my hair. Amber does such a nifty job when she shampoos my hair. I especially like it when she massages my neck.

In her text message, Amber said she was getting ready to make a career change.

That was not something that I was thrilled to read. I really like the way she cuts my hair. It looks good and it stays in place. I can go longer than my normal four weeks between cuttings and still have it look good.

If Amber gives up on hair styling, I will have to find a new person to cut my hair. This will be such a pain for me.

Maybe I will follow the Princess’ suggestion that I shave my head. I can purchase a really good electric razor for about the cost of one or two visits to see Amber and I know it should last a lot longer than two months.

I’ll just have to wait and see what happens next with my hair and with Amber.

Woman of the Moment Encore
The Women of the Moment Encore selection process is proceeding along its predictable path. The top three most viewed Women of the Moment; in alphabetical order so far, are Aiko Tanaka, Eiko Koike, and Sunisa Kim. The fourth place seems to be developing into a horse race of sorts. Some days it is Sharon Tay and other days it is KT So.

I don’t think any of the regular visitors to the blog will be seriously disappointed with the outcome of the selection process.

My Friend Sharon
My friend Sharon called me on Friday. We hadn’t talked since before Christmas. Our call lasted about 55 minutes; 45 minutes were about Sharon and the drama in her life. The other ten minutes covered me, the Princess, and Doug.

Who says men can’t listen to women. I did for a long time.


That was my extended weekend.

I am highly confident that your weekend was generally better than mine.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home