Sunday, May 18, 2008

Weekend Update - Armed Forces Day Weekend

Weekend Update – Armed Forces Day
If you enjoyed your freedom this weekend, be sure to thank an American veteran for all of your freedoms. Veterans made the sacrifices that were necessary to preserve your freedom.

Patriotic dissent is luxury of those protected by better men and women then they.


The next town over from Redondo Beach is Torrance. They have one of the largest Armed Forces Day parades in the country. I forgot about the parade traffic as I drove home from school; that mistake cost me an extra hour in traffic. Once you got in the traffic, there is no real way around it because of major and minor street closures.

I picked up a small turkey sandwich at Giuliano’s for my lunch. I was hungry and wanted something that was quick before I hopped into my bed for a nap. I was tired from the chemotherapy session on Friday and class on Saturday morning.

My planned nap flew out of the windows when the parade flyovers took place. My flat is about a half mile south of the extended parade route out over the ocean. The first flyover was a flight of four Stearman biplanes, a post World War I relic. They were very nice, flying slowing and relatively quietly.

The Marines made the second flyover with their helicopters. It was a mixed flight of attack and troop carriers; the most common helicopter was a Blackhawk. You can find the Blackhawk flying in harm’s way in Iraq and Afghanistan today.

Lastly, we had the Air Force with their F-16 fighters and the Marines with their F/A-18 fighter bombers fly over. It was loud and it was the sound of freedom.

In the end, I went to bed early, around 7:30 PM after I finished off a Junior Whopper from Burger King. My Korean historical drama that I had been watching had its time slot changed from 8:00 to 9:00 PM to 10:00 to 11:00 PM. That was too late for me to stay up besides Sunday is a school night for me.

Visitors
I didn’t do a very good job of tracking visitors to the blog this week. I know that I missed some of you.

We had visitors from Texas [4], Vietnam, Mongolia, France [2], Portugal, Canada [10], Ireland, Oman, Norway, Indonesia, Australia, Japan [4], Hungary [2], Korea, Poland, Germany [3], Brazil, Spain [2], Turkey, New Zealand, Iran, Thailand [2], Singapore, Peru, Mexico [3], and Luxembourg.

This week was the first time that the blog has had visitors from Mongolia, Oman, and Luxembourg.

I do appreciate all of you who took time from your busy or otherwise days to visit the blog.

Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf
On my way home from lunch with Doug on Thursday, I stopped at my local Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf for an ice blended mocha coffee drink with whipped cream and a little caramel sauce in it. It was my last cold drink for a while since I had another chemotherapy session, my seventh in the series on Friday.

I also picked up some more tea for the Princess and the Golfer. One of the teas I purchased was unusual, it is a Chinese tea called Jasmine Dragon Phoenix Pea Tea.
Two tea leaves and a bud are rolled into pea shape and then scented with jasmine. The “peas” are then placed in a tea bag and unfold when they are heated.

If nothing else, it sounds interesting and ought to be fun to watch it unfold. I hope it tastes good.


That was my weekend. I hope you had a great weekend as well.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home