Sunday, April 27, 2008

Weekend Alone

Weekend on My Own
I was on my own to a certain extent this weekend. Doug was off to a concert in San Francisco with some of his film school friends and the Princess was in Seattle, of course.

I was not truly alone my friends; Lisa, Lizzie, and Sharon all offered to help me if I needed any help or assistance. Fortunately, I managed to get through the weekend without any difficulty.

I drove myself the clinic for the infusion and dressing change. No problems or difficulties for me there except when I drove home. I stopped at Giuliano’s for a sandwich and some semi-sweet chocolate chip cookies; they were out of cookies on Friday and Saturday.
That was a big disappointment for me.

But, all was not lost; I cracked open a box of Girl Scout Thin Mint Cookies that I had in the freezer. After I let them warm to room temperature, I was just fine and happy. My friend Barbie would say I shouldn’t eat so many sweets.

My Saturday class was good for me. I had a full class. This is a class that I really enjoy. But, I have one student who is an absolute pain in the place where you sit down. She constantly talks and interrupts the class with her worthless comments. I don’t think she has listened to anything I have said so far this term. Her homework is very painful to read and grade. None of the other students in the class want to work with her on the course project. I will be so glad when this class is over for me.

I did clean up my email inboxes today. I had a mess of trash in my Yahoo.com account.

Infusion and Dressing Change
The sixth infusion went along according to the normal procedure. I didn’t have too much in the way of side affects beyond the usual one of tingling in my finger tips and toes. This affect should dissipate in few days and by the end of the week for sure.

The Baby Blues didn’t change my dressing on Friday. Myrna changed the dressing and she went out of her way to find a way to cover some of my really irritated skin. The skin has been taped over since January and the only break comes when the dressing is changed.

Glenda did stop by and said hello to me. I don’t know if she had to be in the area or just came by to say hello to me. Life is full of mysteries that are yet to be solved.

Visitors
We had another good week of visitors to the blog. There were no new visitors this week.

Our visitors came from Texas [8], Japan [10], Indonesia [2], Netherlands [3], China, Poland [2], Norway [3], Germany [5], Thailand [2], Canada [10], Cambodia, Saudi Arabia [3], Singapore [9], United Kingdom [9], France [3], Colombia, Ireland, Austria, Switzerland, Australia, [3], Malaysia [2], Philippines [2], Bahrain, Iran, India, New Zealand [3], Italy [2], Hong Kong, Ukraine, Spain, Kuwait, Romania, and Egypt.

I do appreciate all of you who took time to visit the blog.

PET Scan
I received my PET scan appointment notice on Friday; that was quicker than I thought it would take to receive it. I get to spend most of the morning of May 6th in the Nuclear Medicine Department.

Mostly, I just sit and wait; sometimes I get to lie down.

I start off with an IV injection of a low level nuclear trace agent. Then, I have to sit around for an hour and a half or so while the trace agent circulates in my body. I don’t think that I will be glowing like Homer Simpson does.

The actual scan itself takes about an hour. This is where I have to lie still and not move around. I can do the lying down part easy; I have had lots of practice with the other X-ray scans, CT scans, and the MRI scan.

The procedure requires me to fast for at least six hours before the actual scan; all I can take is plain water. The appointment notice encouraged me to maintain a very low carbohydrate diet for the day or two before the scan. There go my morning bagel, my cookies, my rice and pasta, and my sandwiches.

Since it is only for a day or so; I think I can manage the diet well enough.

Weather
One of the nice aspects about living at the beach in Southern California is the warm Summers. Normally, I would be out on m balcony, probably reading some books or business periodical.

The temperature this afternoon is somewhere around 85F or 29C. There is a slight breeze to make it pleasant on the balcony and there is relatively little noise from the road in front of the building that leads to the beach.

Perfectomundo.

So, why am I inside on such a great day to be outside?

The simple answer is my medications. Two of the drugs that I take say to stay out of the direct sunlight. Not a good idea to sit on the balcony is it. Oh well, life happens and one simply has to deal with it I guess.

Car Thoughts
I had some time to kill this weekend so I decided to go revisit my plans to purchase a new automobile at the end of the year. I had been thinking about buying a MINI Cooper Convertible; a perfect vehicle for Southern California.

Then, I stated thinking about the consequences of the purchase. First, there would be the financing and, even with my good credit, the interest will still amount to a pile of money. Second, there is the daunting task of finding a younger woman [any woman younger than me] who would want to ride around in a convertible. I have learned when I bought a MGB convertible that women do not like to have the wind make a mess of their hair. Third, there will be the higher car insurance premiums that will last a long time.

All of this information made me want to revisit the idea to repair the Honda Prelude, a car I love to drive and it gets good gas mileage. The cost to repair the Prelude is not a drop in the bucket but it is much less than buying a new car. I can fight the repair costs in my budget and pay for the repairs this year. I will just have to defer some other purchase until next year.

I can live with the temporary deferrals and not suffer unduly. The big screen television will have to wait until next year I guess.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home