Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Weekend Update Lately

Weekend Update Lately
I am highly confident that the blog traffic did not decline because I was not posting as I usually do. I went to Salt Lake City for a college fraternity reunion event. I left on Friday after not seeing Dr. Karen and returned home on Sunday afternoon.

Dr. Karen and Me
On Friday, it was Dr. Lisa and me. Dr. Karen had a patient emergency in the hospital so she missed my early morning appointment which turned into a mid-morning appointment. Dr. Lisa was thorough but she did not have the detailed knowledge of my patient file. Dr. Lisa gave me another prescription for Xeloda and that was about it. My tests were all good.

I will get to see Dr. Karen next on May 8th, right after my birthday.

An almost perfect birthday present for me.

The oncology nurses seemed to love the Fairy Tales Brownie calorie bombs. They were excited as they opened the box. When I told them that I was not responsible for snug fitting hospital scrubs after consuming the brownies, they all giggled.

Wendy and Vrunda took my blood pressure on Friday. They said it was slightly higher than usual. I said it was their fault for looking attractive and raising my blood pressure. They giggled at that thought.

University of Utah Football from the Associated Press
Red And White Play To A Tie At Utah Football Spring Game

Red team's touchdown with no time left ends the game in a draw.
April 18, 2009
SALT LAKE CITY - The Utah football team's annual Red-White ended in a draw Saturday, 35-35. The game, which signifies the end of spring ball, ended in an interesting fashion. As the Red team came out to try for the game-winning extra point kick, the White squad flooded the field, taunting Red's special teams. The snap was fumbled, the extra point missed, and the game ended in a tie.

Despite the carefree finish, head coach Kyle Whittingham was pleased with the effort shown by his team. "I think this game was very clean and we put in a lot of good work," said Whittingham. "We had some playmakers emerge. Aiona Key, Brad Clifford and Elijah Wesson had a nice outing. I just think the whole game was a positive. Nobody got hurt, which at this point and time is the No. 1 issue. We came out of spring drills very clean with just some bumps and bruises."

Trailing by six points, the Red team, led by junior quarterback Corbin Louks, marched down the field and found the end zone on a controversial play with no time remaining. A defensive penalty as the clock ran out allowed the offense one more chance to score from the 1-yard line. Louks tried to take it in himself, only to fumble, but it was recovered by Red freshman wide receiver Ryan Lacy, to tie the game at 35-35.

Louks finished the game 22-of-33 for 322 yards, with three touchdowns and one interception. For the White team, junior quarterback Terrance Cain went 13-of-18 for 113 yards, while freshman signal caller Jordan Wynn was 8-of-13 for 158 yards and a touchdown. Neither White team quarterback was intercepted.

"I thought all three of the quarterbacks did a good job," said Whittingham. "They made good decisions. It's turned into a three-man race it looks like. Initially it was Corbin and Terrance, but Jordan Wynn has closed the gap considerably and I'd say right now he's a viable candidate for the job."

Senior wide receiver Aiona Key, playing for the Red team, led all receivers with nine catches for 85 yards and two touchdowns. Clifford, a tight end for the Red squad, had 128 receiving yards, including a 65-yard touchdown catch-and-run that saw him bowl over one defender and stiff-arm another on his way to pay dirt.

Freshman running back Sausan Shakerin led all rushers with eight attempts for 49 yards and two touchdowns for the White team. Red's leading rusher was junior Eddie Wide, who gained 11 yards on five attempts.

Utah special teams converted 2-of-4 field goals as sophomore Coleman Peterson hit from 23 yards and junior Joe Phillips knocked one through from 42 yards out. Peterson missed from 23 and senior Ben Vroman was no good from 26.

Utah opens the regular season against Utah State on Thursday, Sept. 3 at 7 p.m., at Rice-Eccles Stadium.

My Trip to Salt Lake City
I did not go to the football game because I was a little tired. I am not used to the altitude in Salt Lake that is close to 5,000 feet in elevation. I think my flat is about 250 feet above sea level, just high enough to avoid being wiped out by a large tsunami.

Mostly, my trip was about my college fraternity reunion.

My friend Scott called me on Thursday and asked me to take part in the recolonization ceremony. The fraternity chapter lost its charter over some hazing issues a few years ago. Now, it is on its way back to becoming a full, functioning chapter of the fraternity. My part in the ceremony was small. This meant that I did not have any chance to take any photos of the ceremony.

Not a great loss I should think.

I took some photos at the dinner dance on Saturday night. They are mostly of friends and acquaintances. The dinner itself was a nice banquet dinner of roast beef and mashed potatos along with a salad. There was a nifty dessert for dinner.


I stayed at a different hotel this year. Usually, I stay at the Marriott Downtown Salt Lake Hotel. It was sold out so I ended up the Marriott City Center Hotel, all over four blocks away, in part because of the Salt Lake marathon that was held on Saturday morning. It is the closest hotel to the finish live.

The City Center hotel was built for the 2002 Winter Olympics and, as such, is much newer then the Downtown hotel. The Downtown has been refurbished in the last year or so. They are both fine hotel properties. Going forward, I will make City Center my hotel of choice in Salt Lake.

I liked the City Center hotel because it was so quiet on the weekend. The other hotel is the closest hotel to Temple Square and the Salt Lake Tabernacle of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Days Saints. If you are a young Mormon couple, the best place to be married is the Salt Lake Tabernacle. Because of the very close proximity to the tabernacle, the hotel is filled with families and wedding parties. It is also on the noisy side.

The City Center is smaller than the other hotel and that was fine with me. I went into the hotel bar on Friday night for a quick dinner, no food service on the Delta flight from Los Angeles. I was amazed to find the bar was filled mostly with women; highly unusual in Salt Lake. I had a club sandwich and a bowl of really thick and rich tomato soup.



The only complication that I had in Salt Lake was the annual marathon which ran right past my hotel and blocked off most of the streets in downtown Salt Lake. I ended up having to drive about five or six miles out of my way to get around the blockades.

That was not so terrible or difficult for me.

Other Odds and Ends
I had a phone call on Monday afternoon from Verizon, one of my cell phone service providers. The caller was checking up on me because I am close to a year of being out of contract with them. When you are on a month to month basis, subscribers have less loyalty to the carrier and are more likely to change since the cost is only USD$5.00. The really odd part about the phone call was that he called me on my AT&T cell phone.

My niece the Nutritionist would be proud of her Uncle Chuck. I have been eating mostly fish and chicken for my dinners. Last week, I had fish for four nights. The Nutritionist is also an ultra marathoner so I think she would find the Salt Lake Marathon a challenge for her because of the altitude; she lives in Seattle along with the Princess and the Nephew.

The first part of the marathon course is all downhill. That is easy to run I would think. The bulk of the race course is flat. The only difficult part is maybe the last five miles and those are a gradual rise. That would be the real challenge.

I was checking the visitor traffic to the blog as I do from time to time. I noticed that some Marines visited the blog last week. Excellent.

Semper Fi Marines.

Obviously, there was no Paulina Garces for me this weekend. I have to wait until Sunday for that minor pleasure of life.


This has been what I have been doing lately.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home