Wednesday, March 25, 2009

My Week Is Improving - Molly the Stylist

My Week Is Improving – Molly the Stylist
My week is rapidly improving after that depressing start on Sunday. This is good for me.

I saw Molly the Stylist this afternoon for my monthly haircut; no, hairstyling. Molly so dislikes the term haircut. I think she considers haiructting to be a primitive form of appearance management. Appearance management that is a mouthful of words.

Molly liked the avatar I picked out for her. This was one of the ones that my friend Ziying from Shanghai sent me last year. Molly asked why I picked this one. I said because the image reminded me of her because of the very expressive eyes. Molly has very expressive eyes.

I think that made Molly happy.

I think I gave her some more happiness or professional pride when I told her the Princess liked the way she was cutting or styling my hair. I told her the Princess said, “you known Daddy, you do clean up very nicely. I like your hair the way it is, straight like mine.”

By now, I think Molly feels very confident and comfortable when she working on my hair. She no longer asks me if she can put some stuff on or in my hair. This seems very reasonable to me; Molly has been doing a great job and I trust her judgment.

This is a photo from the Princess’ birthday celebration the first part of the month. I think I look good for an older guy with stable cancer.


Other Missteps
On my way home to grade papers from Molly’s salon, I stopped at Giuliano’s for a sandwich for lunch. It was approaching 2:30 PM and I had skipped lunch before the styling session. I was hungry and I didn’t want to wait to fix something to eat when I got home.

I picked up a roast beef sandwich; I had half for lunch and I will heat the other half for a late diner tonight.


In addition to the sandwich, I picked up a Peanut Butter Blast. After consuming it, I am now almost dead solid certain that this indulgence will show up on my blood tests tomorrow. I hope Dr. Karen is not too upset with me.

Teaching
I picked up my instructor evaluations for last quarter. I did very well overall. I picked up some very modest incentive pay from three classes. I think the total incentive pay amounted to either USD$600 or USD$800, before taxes and other deductions.

My net is going to be about USD$6 for each hour of teaching.

I knew one class was a lost cause. I had forty five students and this is too large a group for any personalized instruction. Then, some of the students grade me down because I made them work.

Gasp, making students work, how terrible of me.

The students are lazy and are used to instructors who give them 100s for class participation just for showing up and producing green houses gases from respiration. I require and expect actual thoughts and intelligent discussion to get a good grade for class participation.

My fifth class was a disappointment for me. They were all students who I had in other classes and they gave me or at least one student gave me lower marks than I deserved.

That was unfortunate for all of them. I will not be willing to write any letters of recommendation for them. Writing letters of recommendation is something that instructors are asked, but not required, to do.

The Writing Clinic
The Writing Clinic starts this Saturday. I have no idea how it will turn out. I hope it will turn out to be something the students will support.

I am volunteering my time to get the writing program off of the ground. Our students, generally, cannot write at the college level. They should be able to do so. They fail on the most basic of writing skills like proof reading the document before submitting it to me for grading.

If I succeed, I can look forward to two personal benefits. First, I can have future students who are better writers when they are in my writing classes. Second, if the program succeeds, I can expect to be paid conducting the program in future quarters. The pay, naturally, will be modst.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home