Wednesday, April 01, 2009

End of March

End of March
Wow. Here it is the end of March. Actually, it is the first of April but who is counting. The first three months of the year sure went by in a big hurry. I always thought that time seemed to slow down when you got older. With me, it seems like time is speeding up.

I finished up working on my friend Lisa’s revised and enhanced and greatly improved resume yesterday. I worked on that instead of making a posting.

Prelude
I took the Prelude in for service to fix an oil leak. Oil leaks are messy and bad for the environment. Based on my past experience, I thought the leak had come from the oil pan gasket seal; it had failed once before. The service advisor agreed with my assessment that the gasket was a logical place to look, especially since it was an older one.


It turns out the leak is actually two leaks, one from a transmission seal and one from a drive shaft seal.

This will be a major repair for the Prelude. I define a major repair as one costing more than USD$500. I think this trip to the dealership will run me about USD$1,500. Most of the cost is labor and will take about three days to complete.

I am not all that upset with the cost of the repair. When I consider how old the Prelude is and how well it has performed for me and this is only the second major repair in twenty one years, things take on a different look. My total for major repairs will now be around USD$4,000; that is much, much less expensive than buying a new car.

I also get a free car wash and a free pick up when I go to get the Prelude from the dealership as part of the deal. I have to find a positive spin somewhere.

Visitors
March was the third best month ever for the blog. We had 3,067 visitors and 4,379 unique page views. The two most popular pages are January 1, 2007 with about 70% of the total traffic and March 1, 2007 with about 15% of the traffic.

I periodically check the visitor traffic to see who is coming to the blog. About 65% of the visitors come from outside of the United States. We had our first visitor from Mongolia this past week. This visitor was from Ulaan Baatar. I guess the Mongolians like to double up on their vowels.

I do appreciate all of you who take from your days to visit the blog.

Dining with Doug
I talked to Doug today after I got home from the Honda dealership. We check in with each other regularly. We had planned to get together for lunch on Saturday after I finish up at school. The only open item was where we would meet for lunch.

Doug asked me if I had any thoughts about where I wanted to go. I said that I hadn’t really given it all that much thought since I wasn’t very hungry today.

Doug suggested that we go to The Corner Burger in Irvine; that works fine for me.


Be well and stay happy.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Been slowly reading through your blog and enjoying it. Good luck with that Prelude. If the repairs cost $1500, then that's probably what the car's worth, I would think after 20 year and all the miles you have on it. My experience has been that once things go wrong, they continue to go wrong. I had a 1996 Isuzu Trooper I bought new. In 2004, with 200,000 miles on the odometer, I had to have a "low-mileage" engine installed, as the old engine was just shot. Okay. That was $4000, installed. Then in 2006, the transmission had to be rebuilt. $2000 more. Then last year the forward clutch went out, and that was going to cost at least $1500, since you have to drop the tranny to get to the clutch. The Trooper, driveable and with that many miles on it, was only worth about $1500. I hesitated to sink any more money into it, and so deferred having this repair done. My wife didn't want it sitting in front of the house, so she sold it without my permission to a mechanic for $250. I was a little pissed, but I certainly didn't have the time or inclination to deal with it, and so that's my sordid little tale about older, high-mileage vehicles.

Like you, I've always had a fascination with oriental women. I saw Eriko Sato about 2 years ago in Cutey Honey Flash - a surreal film if there ever was one, and was enchanted by her physique, if not by her acting ability, which was marginal - but then again the role didn't call for Shakespearean efforts. Good luck with the Prelude.

I'm a 54-year-old mining engineer with an MBA, currently between jobs, with a home in Tucson and a fifth wheel in Ely, Nevada. I'm currently debating on whether or not to sell the fifth wheel and just go back down to Tucson during this dry spell, which has lasted five months now - the longest in my professional career. Except for a five-year stint working as a "mining financial analyst" for the Navajo Nation in Window Rock,
Arizona, my career has been entirely in open-pit, gold and copper mines in Nevada and Arizona. You've got an interesting blog.

11:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home