Sunday, April 05, 2009

What Passes for Excitement for Me

What Passes for Excitement for Me
What exciting things did I do this weekend?

I drove on our local freeways. I went to school and had a good class on Saturday. Doug and I had lunch at The Corner Burger in Irvine after class. I skipped stopping at Gloria’s frozen yogurt and ice cream store on my way home. Someone posted a comment to the blog; second one so far this year. I went to the market and scored a couple of pints of Starbucks ice cream.

I went to the market on Friday because I had run out of some things like bananas and cereal. I also had a coupon for a USD$1.00 off on the purchase of a pint of Starbucks ice cream. Starbucks is introducing four new flavors. I picked up two pints because I could save another USD$1.50 if I bought two, 33% savings.

My niece the Nutritionist would probably frown deeply and say something like, “Uncle Chuck, you know that you shouldn’t do this.”

I decided to try the Mocha Frappuccino ice cream on Friday night while I watched a Stargate SG-1 movie on television. I started off with a small serving and it was very satisfying and tasty. I needed a second serving and before I knew it I was finishing off the pint, spooning the ice cream directly from the cartoon.

I haven’t done something like since March, 1968 when I came home from Vietnam for the first time.

The ice cream was excellent. I give it a Five Spoons rating [highest rating]. I could go on and on writing about how wonderful it was but doing so will only make me want to go finish off the lonely and remaining pint of Java Chip Frappuccino ice cream.

I told Doug at lunch that I wouldn’t have the other pint until after I return from my trip to Salt Lake City. He thought that Dad was being sensible. I also skipped stopping at Gloria’s frozen yogurt and ice cream store on my way home after lunch. I did not need any more ice cream.

I loved driving the Prelude to class on Saturday. The freeways were mostly empty, compared to the regular week day traffic and this pattern held throughout the day for me. I can drive a little faster in some turns in the Prelude than I can when I drive the Pathfinder. The much lower center of gravity makes all of the difference in how the cars handle.

I had my regular quarterly teaching evaluation on Saturday. My evaluator, one of the associate deans, gave me a rating of 2.0 on scale of 1.0 to 5.0 where 1.0 is excellent. 2.0 is a very good rating. The associate dean thought I was excellent in all of the categories.

I got pulled down because the attendance in class was poor. I had 19 out of 28 students present; that gave me a rating of 5.0 in that category. This was a mathematical grade that no one at the school pays much attention to.

How can I make my class as interesting as a warm, sunny, day in Southern California?

I can’t compete with that and neither can the other instructors. It is only early Spring; attendance is really poor on Saturdays in the Summer in Southern California.

Doug and I met for lunch at The Corner Burger after class. The Corner Burger is much more upscale and trendy than the Original Tommy’s Hamburgers and Fatburger. It also lacks the atmosphere of Tommy’s too. Tommy’s would never serve arugula on their chili cheeseburgers; neither would Fatburger.


This is an Original Tommy's Mega Combo chili cheeseburger, a man's burger. I usually have two a year.

Still, it was a very nice lunch. We talked about my trip to Salt Lake City and the upcoming Chuckay Dinner in May. Doug told me that he enjoyed MONSTERS VS ALIENS more than he liked WATCHMEN. I think seeing MONSTERS on IMAX 3D would have a serious affect on your viewing reaction. After hearing Doug’s comments, I may go see MONSTERS.

Someone posted a comment about one of my blog entries over the weekend. The writer liked what I had to say and said she would stop by from time to time. It is always nice to receive a comment.

Comments are a rarity for the blog. The blog usually averages two or three comments a year.

We had another good week for visitors with 649 coming by the blog. I do appreciate all of you who stop and view the blog.


That was my weekend; I hope you had a good weekend too.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home