Sunday, April 12, 2009

Student Dreams and Student Phone Calls

Student Dreams and Student Phone Calls
This was one of those weeks were I bounced around, literally in the Monday shuttle ride from Hell. I also had other nice things happen. The most unusual, for me anyway, revolved around former students of mine.

I have found that teachers who care about their students tend to attachments to them or maybe it is the other way around.

Today, I received an Easter greeting from one of my former students. Granted the greeting was a simple text message, it was still a very nice gesture. It was the only non-verbal Easter greeting that I received.

I received the greeting while I was preparing my tax returns for the year. Obviously, this was something that I was not expecting.

All in all, it was a very gesture.

Then, yesterday, as I was leaving the school building, using the stairs for exercise instead of the elevator, I ran into one of my favorite former students. I think all instructors have favorite students although in some cases they may be remembered for all of the trouble they caused.

In this case, she is a favorite student and one that I have mentored in an off and on manner.

She was standing at the bottom of the stairs, talking with her classmates while they waited for their instructor to open the classroom. When she saw me, she sort screamed, “Oh my god Mr. R, I had a terrible dream about you; I dreamt that you died and I was so sad.”

Not the usual response.

She went on to say in her dream that, “Doug had called her and told her that I had died.” Then, she went on to say that she woke up and then called her BFF who is also one of my favorite former students. Her friend said to call me and reassure herself.

That was not a viable option since she did not have my home phone number; I turn my cell phones off at night to save the batteries

I told that I am fine and that I am doing well with my medical treatments. I didn’t mention the less than wonderful experience that Doug and I had with the colorectal surgeons on Wednesday.

That made her feel much better and brought a sparkle to her eyes. She said that she really liked me when I wear colorful shirts. I was wearing a yellow shirt with blue stripes on Saturday.

I have often wondered if students ever think about me after they leave my classroom.

Now, I have an answer. Some do.

Perfectomundo.

Visitors
Last week was another good week for visitors. We had a count of 652 visitors which was up slightly from the prior week’s count of 649. Most of the visitors, 65% or so, come from overseas. The most popular pages are still the same with January 1, 2007 being the most popular with over 70% of the traffic.

I do appreciate all of you who stop the blog, now in its fifth year.

Paulina Garces
I missed Paulina’s infomercial yesterday because I had my class and writing clinic at school. I didn’t get home until around 2:00PM. I did manage to catch her newest infomercial today.

It was a particularly good infomercial since Paulina was wearing shorty shorts. Paulina was also wearing platform high heeled shoes. She looked taller than before.

Excellent.

I suppose there are some who might say that publishing photos of Paulina or any other model or actress, for that matter, is demeaning and sexist. I prefer to take a different point of view. These images were downloaded from Paulina’s web site; she decided to place them out in the ether. I am merely an additional distribution point.

The Prelude
I will be picking the Prelude up on Monday morning, finally. The work was finished late on Friday.

The work on the Prelude should have been finished by Thursday easily. Unfortunately for me, the dealership did not start working on the Prelude until Tuesday. I wish I would have known that because I could have avoided injuring my back in the shuttle ride.

I was also told by the service advisor that the technician did not work on my car straight through. He was called away to work on other cars that came in. I wish I would have known about that because I could have considered other places to have it serviced.

Hopefully, the service advisor will remember to have me picked early on Monday so I can enjoy driving the Prelude again.

Fairy Tale Brownies or the Calorie Cluster Bomb
My order of brownies for the Oncology Clinic nursing staff arrived on Saturday in perfect condition. I call the package a Calorie Cluster Bomb because when you open the box, there are 18 rich and heavy, calorie laden dark chocolate brownies.
The company says the brownies can be refrigerated or frozen. I guess that they can; but, in the five year I have been giving these away as gifts, they have never lasted long enough to require refrigeration.

I expect the nursing staff will enjoy the brownies, everyone else has.


That was the end of my week. Happy Easter.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home