Sunday, September 20, 2009

At least BYU lost

At Least BYU Lost
Our Utes did not prevail in a closer game than the score would otherwise indicate. I watched the game from the comfort of my flat in Southern California. I think the Utes could have won with more inspired play calling and with a quarterback who can through the football in the rain or mist in Oregon.

After all, Utah plays most of its games in adverse weather, well adverse when compared to Southern California, so it seems only logical to recruit a player who is used to playing in rain and snow. The current Utah quarterback comes from Houston where they do not have much in the way of snow.

In any event, the Princess and I can take comfort in the fact that Brigham Young University lost badly in a home game in Provo. Of course, the losses will take both schools out of the BCS big post season bowl games unless there is an incredible melt-down everywhere else which is a possibility given USC’s stumble in Seattle.

Rather than write my own game summary, I choose this one as a better one. It is by Kurt Kragethorpe of the Salt Lake Tribune.

Eugene, Ore.
Late in the fourth quarter, when Utah quarterback Terrance Cain's pass was floating toward receiver Jereme Brooks, it all still seemed so possible.
After everything the Utes did wrong Saturday afternoon at Autzen Stadium, from Cain's firing 11 straight incompletions in the first half to the Utah defense's allowing a 152-yard rusher, you just figured that somehow, they would overcome all of that and keep winning.

Brian Johnson and the '08 Utes always did, right?

Cain and the '09 Utes did not. Utah was driving toward a tying touchdown in the last two minutes, when Oregon safety John Boyett intercepted Cain's underthrown pass. The result for the Utes was a 31-24 defeat that ended their nation-leading 16-game winning streak, left them with what offensive lineman Zane Beadles described as “a foreign feeling” and tossed the rest of their season into the “to be determined” file.

When it was all over, the sun broke through, casting a glow over the Oregon campus. During the game, the atmosphere was gray and rainy, eerily forecasting a Duck kind of day. The Utes had grown used to the sun shining on their sideline alone over the last couple seasons.

"We all wish that could have gone on for infinity," said coach Kyle Whittingham, alluding to the streak that stretched over parts of three seasons. Forgive him for maybe wishing some of his dependable players could have stuck around longer, to deliver more of the resourceful performances that characterized the perfect '08 campaign. Or perhaps that team's clever escapes just used up Utah's quota.

Whittingham credited his current players with "guts and toughness," after they could have crumbled when trailing 28-10 in the third quarter, but whatever else it took for Johnson and his teammates to produce those fourth-quarter finishes was missing.

So another streak ended, and for anyone looking for a parallel occurrence, it is easy to find. In the third game of the '05 season, after the Utes' run stretched to 18 wins, offensive failings cost them in an overtime loss at Texas Christian.

Cain produced a touchdown run in the first quarter and a creative touchdown pass to Brooks in the third quarter that made it 28-24. In between, and afterward, he struggled. During a seven-series stretch when the Utes failed to gain a first down and netted only 6 yards, Cain went 0-for-10 against Oregon's varied defensive schemes and tight coverage.

The junior college transfer recovered nicely in the second half, only to throw two fourth-quarter interceptions.

The first came after Ute safety Robert Johnson's end zone interception kept the score 28-24, following Johnson's fumble-return touchdown. Oregon linebacker Eddie Pleasant "came out of nowhere," Cain said, with an interception that led to a field goal.

The clincher came after Utah had moved to the Oregon 38. Brooks appeared open, deep on the right sideline, but Boyett made sure the ball never reached its target. "I should have put it a little bit more out there, so [Brooks] would have a chance," Cain said.

The Utes were left to express those sorts of regrets for the first time since November 2007, when BYU's famed "fourth-and-18" play helped beat them.
"I don't expect to lose," said linebacker Stevenson Sylvester. "In fact, it does happen, so we're going to have to learn how to cope with that."

Whittingham walked away saying, "We're still trying to figure out who we are, in a lot of ways."

Who they're not, apparently, is the '08 Utes, which only underscores how remarkable those guys were.


Dr. Karen Got Married
I didn’t see Dr. Karen on Friday for my regular appointment with her. She had just gotten married so I am guessing that she was on her honeymoon.

Congratulations and best wishes Dr. Karen.

Dr. Michelle Wang filled in on Friday. Dr. Wang had filled in four or five times before over the last twenty months or so. Doug and I both like Dr. Wang.

Since Dr. Karen wasn’t there, the appointment went much faster because I had fewer questions to ask since Dr. Wang doesn’t know as much about me and my cancer as Dr. Karen. That is not her fault. She said my regular lab tests were normal and that she was happy my immune system was functioning normally.

My next appointment will be October 9th and Dr. Karen should be back in town. I hope to see her then.

Nurse Vhrunda and Nurse Wendy and the calorie cluster bomb
I dropped off my calorie cluster bomb to Vhrunda and Wendy on Friday. They were like children on Christmas Day, excited about getting a gift.

I told them the five pounds of Hershey’s miniatures was an early Halloween gift. I also said that I would not be responsible for any ill-fitting scrubs after they finish off the candy. Vhrunda said that I was responsible since there would be no ill-fitting if hadn’t given them the candy.

I suppose that I could have said they didn’t have to eat the candy. That would have fallen on deaf ears I think.

Wendy said, with a big smile after taking hold of my hand, that I could give them some more candy in late October.

Thoughtful of her now.

Sending and forwarding emails
I will freely admit that I forward emails. I think almost everyone I know forwards emails. Friday was no exception for me.

My friend Lizzie sent me, I think, 18 or 19 emails with over 20 or 25 MB of data. That was the most I have ever received in one day from one sender. Well, I think it was the most. I guess Lizzie had saved up a bunch of material and had a lot of free time on Friday to send them out.

When I forward an email, I always clean up and delete all of the prior addresses. That just seems like the proper way to handle a forwarded email to me. I don’t understand why some people will forward an email with a hundred or more email addresses on it.

Random Thought
I use Microsoft Office 2007 like a lot of people. I suppose that most of the blog readers use Office 2007 too.

Have you ever noticed the icon of the Save function is an old 3.5 inch floppy disk?

How many of you still use that size floppy disk drive?

For some strange reason, I have an external 3.5 inch floppy disk drive that I use regularly. Mostly, I save my personal correspondence on it. I don’t feel like using a rewritable CD since that would take close to a lifetime or more to fill up.

High Definition Television
I am very happy that Doug convinced me to purchase my big screen, high definition television set last year. California is proposing some new energy regulations about electricity use that will require large screen televisions to be much more power efficient beginning in 2011. This new regulation will likely result in higher costs to meet the new technology requirements.

I am glad to avoid the likely higher cost. I am also glad to be able to watch our beloved Utes play on the big screen, even when they play poorly.

Visitors
Last week, we saw a drop off in visitors. We had 110 visitors who viewed 124 unique pages. I guess that I need to reconsider my decision to end the Woman of the Moment feature. That brought the traffic to the blog. I do appreciate all of you who take time out of your otherwise busy day to visit the blog.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home