Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Quarter Break

Quarter Break
Half way through my quarter break and I am happy and enjoying life at the beach. Of course, the air is not so good now with all of the wildfires blazing in the area. The biggest one is now over 125,000 or so acres and it only started last Wednesday.


The fire is about 30 miles away from my flat but you can see the enormity of the clouds. The photo was taken from the car park on the second floor. Ok, so the photo isn't very best. It was taken with an old camera and not much of a distance lens.

Dr Karen and Me
I went in for my regular visit with Dr. Karen last Friday.

Dr. Karen was very happy to get an early Labor Day gift from me. I brought in the tissue block of my old tumor she had requested I pick up from Torrance Memorial Hospital. When I see her again in a couple of weeks, I will drop off a mini-calorie cluster bomb. It is a small box with 24 miniature dark Belgian chocolate brownies inside.

Yum, yum, yum.

I will also spot the nurses with their early Halloween calorie bomb, a modest five pound tin of Hershey’s Miniatures. They liked the last one so I know they will enjoy this one.

Of course, I will totally deny any responsibility for or any implications, involvement or culpability in any sudden weight gain from anyone.

Dr. Karen said my tests were all normal, no real changes. She did comment that my blood sugar was on the high side. I told her that the blood test was right after my breakfast with a banana on my cereal and I had forgotten to take my diabetes medicine right after eating.

Dr. Karen frowned as she looked over her glasses at me.

I am in a wait and see what happens next condition now. The big event for me will be the end of September colonoscopy procedure. Doug will be up for the procedure and will probably come to the October 9th meeting with Dr. Karen.

I had expected Dr. Karen to take me off the Xeloda like she did the last time I had a colonoscopy procedure. She said she took me off of the Xeloda the last time because the colorectal surgeons were so anxious to cut me open. This is not the case for this round.

Kindly Doctor Drill N Fill
I went to see my dentist on Saturday for my regular six month visit. I did not plan to have the appointments back to back; it just worked out that way.

Dr. Drill N Fill said my teeth were good. I figured as much since he did very little in the way of scraping. It was just an intense cleaning with a water device. It like the water device since it is much less noisy and irritating.

My dentist did find what he thought was a developing mole on my chin and suggested that I ask my doctor about it. Naturally, I couldn’t see any mole when I got home. I will speak to Dr. Karen and ask her what she can see when I see her in September.

DISTRICT 9
DISTRICT 9 is a new film about apartheid with a science fiction twist. The victims of the apartheid are a sentient species of aliens who are trapped on Earth when their ship’s engine fails over South Africa. The South Africans refer to the aliens as “shrimp” because of their skeletal nature of their bodies. The film was produced by Peter Jackson [LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy].


I went to see DISTRICT 9 last week after my lab tests. I liked the film; it is very entertaining. I think I may have mentioned that Doug and his Movie Club [4 of his movie fan friends] thought DISTRICT 9 was one of the best films of the year. The film is a protest against apartheid. The film has the usual cast of stereotypical characters from the blood thirsty mercenary leader to the severely ethical challenged corporate executive. It is a well made film and one that moves along quickly. There is some violence, mostly in the last twenty minutes or so, but not so much that it seems excessive or out of place within the film’s context. If you enjoy science fiction films, I think that you would enjoy this film.

There will be a sequel to the film because it has been so profitable. I think it will be released in probably 2011 or 2012; the film explains the release date assumption.

Visitors
We had 161 visitors last week who viewed 217 unique pages, still a little slow for the Summer.

August’s total visitor count was only 727, the lowest since November 2007. I had hoped that the blog would reach the 50,000 mark. It would seem fairly certain that I will reach the 50,000 level in September.

I do appreciate all of you who stopped by and visited the blog.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home