Friday, September 25, 2009

Graduation at School and Other Events

Graduation at School and Other Events
I went the school’s Summer Quarter graduation on Wednesday night. Two of my former students asked me to come to the ceremony so I did. As you might expect, graduation is a big family event. In many cases, the student is the first one in the family to have completed high school and college, either an Associate’s or a Bachelor’s degree.

I wasn’t very lucky in picking my seat location; I ended up sitting near a lot of infants who had much better ideas of how they should have spent Wednesday night. This was to be expected since the majority of the students are in their early twenties and many are married with small children.

The two former students were surprised to see me at graduation. I said that they asked me to be there so I was. I received an incredibly fast introduction to their families. Being a good instructor, I told their families that the students were some of my favorite students and that they did very well in my classes.

About half of the students who graduated had been in one or more of my classes. They were surprised to see me at their graduation. One of my students introduced me to his fiancé. She wanted to know if he had been a good student in my classes. I said that he had but she looked as if she didn’t believe me. I told her to read the letter of recommendation it wrote for him.

The student said, “Thanks again Mr. R.; that was a killer letter you wrote for me and Justin.”

I smiled.

Pathfinder
I got the Pathfinder’s tire fixed. Actually, I had to buy a new tire because the old one had suffered a catastrophic tread failure that could not be repaired. I must have driven over something on the sharp or pointed side because there was a cut about four inches long that extended into the side wall about an inch.

The tire technician said that my tire was ten years old and that it would have failed soon regardless. He suggested that I replace the other three tires so that I would have a safe set of tires on the car.

I thought about the replacement idea but held off on the decision for the time being. The old tires were driven for 40,000 miles. The tread wear is still good. I don’t drive the Pathfinder all that much.

Visitors
We had another slow week for visitors. The log had 146 visitors who stopped by to look at 173 unique pages. I do appreciate all of you who stop by and visit the blog.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home