Sunday, October 18, 2009

it rained in Southern California

it rained in Southern California
We had a brief rainstorm in Southern California this week. I live along the coast and generally seem to miss a lot of the rainfall that comes from the usual storm tracks.

I think the rain started on Tuesday night; I can’t say for certain because I was asleep when it started raining. I went out on Wednesday morning out of necessity. I was about out of food. I still had my earthquake supply of food but I don’t like to go into that cache because I may forget to refill it in a timely manner. Earthquakes happen when you least expect them.

My drive to the market plus a couple of other errands in the light rain was enough to really make the Prelude look sad and rain spotted. I should have taken it to the car wash this weekend and had it cleaned and waxed.

Oh well, that’s something for me to do this week.

New flannel shirts
I ordered some new flannel shirts from L. L. Bean a while ago. The shirts arrived when the temperature at the beach was around 83F/28C. This was hardly the ideal time to put on a flannel shirt. But, with the rain, it was a great time to see how they fit. The shirts fit fine and they were very nice to wear in the rain and to the cinema.

The only thing that I don’t like about flannel shirts is their tendency to pill up into little fuzzy balls of yarn. This seems to happen when the shirt is new. I can overlook this inconvenience and pick the fuzzy balls of yarn off as they develop. I know this process will only last for one or two washings.

CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS
I went to see this film during the week. Doug had recommended it to me when we last talked on the phone. He said that he and his girl friend had both enjoyed it.

This was an unusually high praise from Doug because he is not that much of a cartoon fan. As a film studies major in college, he had a marked preference for live action films. I normally agree with him.

I do have a fondness for classic and Pixar animation and particularly for anime. I think I have around forty or so DVDs that are cartoons or anime including all of the Pixar films and nine anime films from Miyazawa.

I saw the film in 3D and in IMAX projection. I think this was a bit much. I could feel the bass sounds vibrating off of my chest during the film. I doubt the extra sound volume added to my viewing enjoyment. I found it to be annoying and a distraction. I suppose that with a full or close to a full house some of the sound would have been absorbed by others. There were only five or six people including small children in the theater that could have held several hundred comfortably.

When I talked to Doug after the film, I said that I enjoyed it and thanked him for his recommendation. Then, we got off on a discussion of the somewhat derivative nature of films. I felt the last twenty minutes or so of the film reminded me of A NEW HOPE and RETURN OF THE JEDI. He sort of agreed with me. He said that every film writer seems to want to borrow from someone to help make a better film.

If you haven’t had a chance to see CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS, I would recommend that you give it a chance. I think you will enjoy the film unless you happen to sit next to a crying baby or someone with a cell phone who is unable to shut it off during the film.

strange visitors
I was looking at the visitor logs during the week. I noticed that there was one visitor from Iran who managed to spend just over twenty minutes on the blog.

Normally, I would be happy with this type of a visitor. But since the visitor was from Iran and he, I am assuming that it was a male visitor, spent the time on a page that featured lots of photos of young women in skimpy bikinis, I am worried about his soul. I don’t think that good Muslins should be viewing photos of young women in bikinis.

Of course, I could be wrong and the visitor could have been an Iranian Christian or Jew or a Buddhist from China who was working in Iran. Then, the viewing would fine and not a danger to his soul.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home