Monday, December 21, 2009

Think Pad T500 Laptop from Lenovo

Think Pad T500 Laptop from Lenovo
I bought the T500 because I was so unhappy with the first one that I ordered from Lenovo. The primary reasons for the new laptop were my hard drive on the old T60 was making sounds that were not normal and this made me anxious about how long it would last and I hated the Windows Vista operating system that was installed on the machine.

Lenovo did an absolutely great job of handling the manufacturing error of shipping my original Y550 with Vista installed instead of Windows 7. I ended up completely satisfied with the resolution and Lenovo’s customer service.

The T500 is the same size as the T60 it replaced which is really sweet because I didn’t have to order a new docking station with the new laptop. I have a USB port surplus now with four ports in the docking station and three in the laptop. I could probably have more if I hooked up one of my small USB routers but that would be pure overkill and serve no useful purpose.

One of the new features that I paid extra for when I ordered the T500 was Intel’s Turbo Cache memory chip. I am not a computer wonk and probably never will be. I am enchanted with how it accelerates the stat up process. I asked one of my computer networking students at school to give me a simple English translation of what the chip did for me.

The Turbo Cache memory stores all of my frequently used programs in a flash memory chip that is next to the Centrino vPro chipset. The impact of this is the startup program doesn’t have to search all over the 250 GB hard drive to find the program elements which results in a faster startup run sequence. With 2 GB in the memory chip, I should be able to store several programs there.

Uh huh.

Now, I will be the first to admit that I may have gotten the student’s message slightly off. His message does make sense to me based on my observations. I do know that the startup function runs faster. Of course, this could also be a function of more RAM and a faster chip.

The T500 does come with a NASCAR like collection of manufacturer’s stickers on the hand rest. I’ve gotten used to seeing them.

I do love the fact the T500 came without the evil fingerprint recognition security feature. For the average person, I think this is an absolutely great advance in security because the user doesn’t have to remember a complex set of characters and symbols to unlock their machine. Since my primary chemotherapy medicine has essentially eaten away almost all of my fingerprints and generally shrunken the skin at my finger tips, fingerprint recognition was a useless feature for me.

One of the really great results has been improved program operation. All of my programs seem to work well with Windows 7. I did have to download only one driver and that was for my SONY digital camera that was purchased before Windows Vista came out.

The Windows 7 file transfer program from one computer to another computer performed well beyond my expectations. It transferred all of my old settings and passwords. Granted the process took about 25 minutes, it was much shorter than making copies and swapping CDs in and out of disk drives.

Whenever I have purchased a new computer, it usually takes me twenty minutes on a call to the ISP customer non-service center to reset up my Internet connections. With the Windows transfer program, I only needed to click my mouse two or three times and I was ready to go.

Perfectomundo.

The display seems to be sharper and clearer than the old T60 which is nice if you have to wear glasses like I do for up close work such as typing on a laptop keyboard.

I am still experimenting with the display settings as I fine tune the machine’s operations. At some point, I may just accept the fact that some programs will have a slightly different look to them when compared to everything else. I think that I can live with that outcome. Besides, those programs that have a different look are ones that I do to use all of the time.

I guess that you can say I am very satisfied with my new Lenovo T500 Windows 7 laptop.

[Full and Fair Disclosure: The T500 is my fourth Lenovo laptop. My first Lenovo laptop was an IBM 385ED machine with no USB ports, a 3 ½ inch floppy drive, and only a pop-out RJ11 modem jack. I have come a long way with Lenovo as you can see. I am not a Lenovo employee either.]


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home