Sunday, January 16, 2011

Weekend Update - January 16th

Joining eHarmony
I joined eHarmony a week ago. The Princess had been urging me, badgering me, nagging me to join eHarmony or Match.com or Chemistry.com for years now. She found her husband through one of these services.

If I joined, I thought I would be able to end the urging. I had nothing to lose except for some money that I would have spent on either DVDs or books. I might even find someone.

I filled out their questionnaire and personality profile. I didn’t get too specific on what I wanted in a companion, of lack of a better word for now. I was aiming at the upper half of the bell curve; if I was too specific I would be aiming at the outliers.

I pushed the button and went to bed.

When I got up on last Monday morning, I checked to see if I had any matches. I had four and that seemed promising for me. I didn’t look closely at any of them because I had a morning class to teach. When I got home, the number of matches had grown to ten. I thought I was really lucky now.

I called the Princess to tell her how I had done so far.

The Princess was amazed at how many matches I had achieved. She said some of her friends had gone over a week without a single match when they joined. We talked about why I was successful. We developed three hypotheses:

First, I was very open with my criteria.

Second, the women were very open with their criteria.

Third, I am super awesome compatible.

Personally, I believe the third hypothesis as the most likely explanation.

I was finally able to stop the flow of matches on Thursday night. By then, the total had grown to 56 matches.

I felt embarrassed with my success at finding women.

Some of the matches were more aggressive than others. They sent me questions to answer. I’ve had forty or so of the matches view my profile. My profile is only 37% complete. I’m wondering now if I should take the time to complete the profile or not since I seem to be doing just fine as it is.

I did include a photo of me and the MINI with the top down. It’s a subtle hint that I am going to be driving a convertible and I like to drive with the top down. One of the criteria I have been using to winnow the matches down to a workable number is hair length. I figure a woman with short hair is not as likely to object to riding in a convertible as one who has hair down to the middle of her back.

eHarmony has a ritualized communication program for matches. You start off exchanging canned questions and such. You build up to emailing as you get to know something about the other person. I played the question game honestly.

The first match I played questions and answer with seemed interesting. She lived reasonably close to me and had short hair. Perfectomundo. I sent her an email, which was probably out of order, to see if she would like to meet for coffee, at a Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, of course.

We’re having coffee tentatively on Tuesday afternoon.

Another match was big on questions. She seemed interesting as well. We exchanged questions and even went to the second level of canned questions before I sent her an email asking if she would like to have coffee sometime soon? She also has shortish hair, excellent.

We’re having coffee tentatively on Thursday afternoon.

As I sit here on Sunday afternoon, I am thinking I won’t renew my three month membership. I have over fifty matches and the odds are long in my favor of finding a companion from the current matches between now and when my membership ends.

Perfectomundo.

Life is good for me.

The MINI and Me
I was out running errands today. It wasn’t cool so I had the top down. It was nice weather for driving. The MINI rolled over 10,000 miles today. I didn’t have my camera with me and even if I did I wouldn’t have been able to take a photo of the blink over.


While I was out driving, I pulled into a car wash and had the MINI cleaned up. I am seeing new women this week so I wanted to have the MINI look nice for me.

Teaching
I got a bonus for good teaching last quarter. It wasn’t very much, only USD$400 before taxes. Still it was nice to get. I had my best quarter yet at the school. I managed to achieve 14 out of 15 goals.

The ironic aspect of the last quarter was that I got a horrible student evaluation in the one course that I earned a bonus in teaching. I had very high positive variances from the norms fro that course.

I had a couple of students who didn’t like me because I made them read the textbook, do the assignments, and I caught two of them plagiarizing their assignments. That earned those two a zero on the assignment and that bounced them off of the Dean’s List. It also earned them a remark in their online records for plagiarism.

This is one group of student that I won’t be writing letters of recommendation for.


Be well and stay happy.

1 Comments:

Blogger eHarmony_jack said...

I enjoyed your blog and wanted to say congrats on getting so much communication – that’s a great sign. Sounds you’re having fun with the process. Enjoy taking out those lucky ladies in your MINI! Feel free to keep in touch with any developments. You can follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/eharmony_jack and join our Facebook community at http://www.facebook.com/eharmony

-Jack

12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home