Sunday, May 29, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend

Feeling bummed out
I was sort of feeling bummed out.

I was working on the laptop this morning when the Word program froze on me. It wasn’t the first time this has happened. Most of the Microsoft programs and Firefox seem to stop responding from time to time. I shut the program down and restarted.

When I restarted Word, I discovered that I had lost about fifteen pages that I had written over the last two or three days for my attempt at writing a novel. I felt that I had written some nice work in those pages. It shouldn’t have happened, I have the auto save function enabled in Word and I manually save the document whenever I leave it for an extended period.

Later, I found that I had created two copies of the document, the last chapter in the second novel, I had been working on. I clicked on the regular file where the lost pages were. After searching the hard drive, I found the other file with the missing pages.

All was not lost; just misplaced.

Perfect.

Chuckay Dinner
I celebrated my birthday with Doug and his mother. As usual, we went to Morton’s the Steakhouse because I love their beef. Morton’s also serves my favorite single malt Scot’s whisky, Lagavulin.







The meal was very predictable. It was excellent.

I had a small steak. Small is a relative term, eight ounces is small at Morton’s.

Doug had a whole lobster. He had the kitchen take all of the meat out of the shell for him. I think takes away part of the enjoyment of cracking the lobster open and digging the meat out yourself. I did that when I went to Seattle for the Princess’ birthday.

Doug’s mother was caught in a quandary; she loves prime rib and she loves lobster. She was having trouble making up her mind. I suggested that she order both and take home something leftovers for Sunday dinner.

She said it wasn’t on the menu.

I said that if she asked our server to have her dinner that way it could be done.

Our server said excellent and asked how she wanted the prime rib cooked. No problems at all.

She had a lobster tail and a giant slab of superb prime rib. It was close to two inches thick. It was her dinner for Saturday, Sunday, and the following Monday.

We shared a Morton’s Chocolate Cake for dessert. We managed to finish less than half; Doug finished the balance off.

13 Assassins
Doug and I went to see the Takashi Miike samurai film 13 ASSASSINS as part of the month long Chuckay Festival. We both loved the film.

The cinematography was excellent. Some of the images and long shots were simply stunning and breathtaking. The best part of the film was the ending; a twenty five minute long sword fight. I particularly like the use of English subtitles in the film instead of dubbing English.

I can highly recommend the film to those who enjoy this genre. It is on my list of films to acquire.

Shameless Joyriding
I went out for a shameless joyride in the MINI today. The weather was not the best but the freeways weren’t very crowded. That was a good trade off. I started out with the top down and drove for about an hour until the weather changed.



The temperature was falling and I started having raindrops fall on the windshield. Fortunately, I was traveling on a freeway with light traffic so I could pull over and put the top up.

It’s Memorial Day Weekend. It shouldn’t be even misting in Southern California.

Anyway.

The top up and the heater on, I finished off my drive. It was a fun way to spend almost two hours.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home