Sunday, January 23, 2011

Tommy Lasorda and eHarmony matches

Tommy Lasorda and eHarmony matches
I think eHarmony matches are a lot like Tommy Lasorda, the great Dodger and Olympic team manager. He always had a strong starter for the opening day game at Dodger Stadium. But, he also had a couple of relief pitchers who could quickly warm up in the bull pen if the starter was not performing well.

I have been a member of eHarmony now for two weeks.

In that time, I managed to accumulate fifty three matches. Of the fifty three, I have or she has closed the match twenty six times, meaning there is no interest in going further. Some of the closures, on my part, were based on things like age or geography.

This is my bull pen.

I have ten matches that I have some form of communication going on. Only three from this group have active communications going on now. I am waiting for the others to respond to my first message to them. I plan to wait until the end of the month and then close out probably most of the nonresponders.

These are my starting pitchers.

So far, I have had two and a half face to face meetings with my matches.

My first face to face sort of blew up on me.

I went to check on the meeting venue since I had never been there. It turned out the Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf was in a market. No hope for a meaningful chat there. I sent the match an email and suggested a new location a block or so away. She said that was fine.

Four hours later, she closed the match.

I guess she was put off my thoroughness and organization since we had only exchanged emails through eHarmony.

Moving on, I had my first face to face during the week. It was, on balance, a good one. She was on time and that was good for me. We seemed to get along well. We had a great deal in common. I think she was trying too hard to make me like herr. She was too eager to exchange phone numbers and wanted to meet again soon.

I had my second face to face yesterday afternoon. The match picked the venue, the Urth Café in Beverly Hills. I suppose the Urth Café is a nice place to eat or have coffee. It was a poor location for a meeting since it was crowded and very noisy. Given my bad hearing, it was a struggle for me to understand what she was saying. There was a much quieter Peet’s Coffee and Tea directly across the street and it would have been a much better venue. On my drive back to the beach, I decided to close this match.

I had a really great tasting Café Mocha Granita at the Urth Café. It is an ice blended drink with mocha, regular coffee, and some strong espresso. I figured it would keep me awake last night. Instead, I was in bed and asleep by a little after 8:00 PM and didn’t move for almost six hours; then I slept off and on in two hour or so stretches until I got out of bed around seven this morning.

So much for the strong espresso.

Looking ahead with eHarmony, I am going to try a phone call with one of the communicating matches. I think this is a great idea since she is not close to me. Maybe I can save myself a long drive, between forty and fifty miles, some money, and avoid a face to face that probably won’t work out for me.

Since I live in Southern California, I figure that I can close out a bunch of the matches and get some more. If I can gather in fifty three in four days, I ought to be pick up twenty to thirty more even if I reduce the size of my search pattern radius from sixty miles to thirty miles.

It’s not like these women were the only ones who could match me

The MINI and me
I drove back to the beach with the top down in the MINI. It was so nice to roll down the 405 on the west side of Los Angeles with the sun on my face and arms. So far, I have logged around fourteen hours with the top down this month.


January seems warmer than usual, so far.

Excellent.

Things I gave up this weekend
I gave up going to a tattoo exposition this weekend. It was paired with a mixed martial arts show or exhibition. Neither of those interested me very much, especially since I would have to drive a good distance.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home