Thursday, April 21, 2005

California to add 12 million more people by 2030

California is projected to add some 12 million people to the state's population by 2030.

GASP.

The increase will bring the overall population to close to 50 million. That, dear readers, is a very sobering prospect.

At first, I figured I would be gone to the promised land or wherever I will end up; but then I realized the population would increase gradually and I would be likely to be here for a good part of the growth.

Oh shit.

My mind raced at all of the possibilities, each one worse than the one before it.

Where will all of these people live? The average rental in Southern California is almost $1,500 a month now and more people will make it only more difficult.

The freeways, and that's almost as big an oxymoron as military intelligence, are crummy right now as it is. With maybe 8 million or more additional cars, there won't be any room for the new cars on the roads. Driving fast will mean speeding along at 20 mph/32 kph instead of the usual 75 mph/120 kph that I can drive at today.

This news almost makes me want to move some place where there is room like Wyoming or Montana or New Mexico or Utah.

With a population of 50 million or so, California will be larger than many countries. Our economy, measured by the state's Gross Domestic Product and if ranked as a nation, would be seventh largest in the world.

Maybe we should secede from the Union. Then, we could make Arnold the Governator our new Presidentator. Scary thought isn't that.

I think I need to go sip some fine single malt Scotch whisky now and chill out. I hope you all have a great weekend gentle readers and I will be back here on Sunday with a weekend update.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home