Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Tsunami Alert - maybe

Hello gentle readers.

I can't tell you how surprised I became over an article on potential future tsunamis in Southern California when I was reading the local newspaper yesterday. I can't tell you how surprised I was because I wasn't very surprised.

The article postulated that Southern California could face a tsunami anytime in the next two or three hundred years. Well, that's a big load off of my mind since I don't think I will be around for all that long and I plan to be buried on higher ground in the desert. Fat chance any sea water would ever reach me.

Then, the big news flash cause of the potential tsunami [drum roll], it's caused by an earthquake.

Wowie kazowie, there's real news.

I mean, it's not like we have never had an earthquake in Southern California before. We are close to a major fault line that is almost 500 miles /800 kilometers long. The last time the San Andreas Fault popped a big one; it leveled San Francisco in 1908 [I think] with a 9.0+ on the Richter Scale.

It seems I live at the beach [but you knew that]. I am close to a underwater canyon that could collapse in a major earthquake. The collapse would cause a small tsunami wave to hit the beach communities where I live. Fortunately for me, I wisely decided to not live right on the beach. I live at the top of a hill about 3/4 mile / 1 kilometer from the ocean. That 200 feet / 60 meter elevation should keep me high and dry.

So, I am pretty safe unless I happen to be down by the ocean at Fatburger picking up a couple of Fat Cheeseburgers and Fat Fries. In that case, I'll just grab the hot, blonde, counter person/shift leader with the bright red lipstick and give her a big hug and kiss goodbye as I suck down the burgers. An excellent way to go out.

Earthquakes happen here and it is a price we pay to live in Southern California. Where else will you see young women roller blading in booty shorts and tee shirts on New Year's Day in the northern hemisphere?

Besides, I have my earthquake supplies on hand and I can last for several days. The menu is not the greatest but it is food after a fashion. I have a current supply of cigars on hand.

Of course, I would probably be cut off from the Internet so that would mean a temporary suspension of the bogs. That would be really sad for me.

I am off to recheck the expiration dates on my cans for food now.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home