Thursday, May 05, 2005

05-05-05

I'm back gentle readers. Did you miss me?

Today is May 5th and, unless you are of Mexican descent or live in the Southwest, this is just the day between May 4th and May 6th. Mexican Americans seem to celebrate this date but the reason escapes me.

The Mexican army, such as it was, defeated a larger French army in a poorly generaled battle at Puebla in 1862. So they defeated the French, it took a threat of armed intervention by the United States in 1866 to cause the French to get out of town. President Johnson was prepared to send Philip Sheridan and 25,000 combat veteran regulars across the border to help drive the French from Mexico. The Navy was prepared to blockade the entire Mexican Gulf coast. Of course, a war with France would have meant the United States would have seized the French possessions in the Western Hemisphere and probably elsewhere in the world as well.

Then, someone in Paris realized just how bad things were. If the Americans declared war, their friends the British might do the same and snap up more French territory. Not good, not good at all.

Anyway, I think Cinco de Mayo is a made up holiday created by beer company and restaurants to sell their products. It's a nice way to start the Summer if you are young or at least think that way.

For the record as a full and fair disclosure, I did not watch American Idol, Dr. Phil interview Pat O'Brien, or the American Idol expose on ABC last night.

I was paying bills. More importantly, I still have some money left.

On Tuesday, after I blogged, I tuned into the Super Chocolate Power Hour from Chapman University. The show is put on by three of the Big Guy's friends. You can listen to the remaining few shows by dialing in http://www.chapmanradio.com on Tuesday nights between 8:00 and 9:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time. The show will go off the air at the end of the semester.

I called into the show when they were talking about lobster. I think it was Coulter or Derek who was complaining about lobster not getting good tasting. I pointed out that it is really great when properly prepared as the Big Guy would tell them if he was calling in.

The first question they asked me was if I was calling in for the Big Guy because the show had been on for half an hour and he is a regular caller. I said he was probably late getting home from school and I expected he would be on later. He came on after I left to go study.

This afternoon on my way home, I was thinking a lot about having lobster for my end of Chuckay Celebration Dinner at Morton's in Santa Ana. The more and more I thought about the idea of lobster, the better the idea of having a whole lobster and a small steak for my dinner tasted in my imaginary mouth.

It was very good.

This Saturday is the true Chuckay Day. I will celebrate my birthday with my son at lunch at Albertacos, our favorite Mexican food dive of a restaurant in South O.C. I will stop off at DVD Planet.com to pick up some more DVDs. If I am not too tired by running around, I may give the Girl Friend a call and see if she wants to play around and celebrate. I think she probably will jump at the idea of playing around and celebrating.

Are you one of those people that participate in Internet surveys?

I am.

I started out with Harris Online maybe four years ago and I did one survey every couple of weeks. Now, I am getting two and three surveys a day from one other company. This is almost like spam now. I only participate in one survey every other day now. It is too much of a time drag for me now.

Yesterday, I got a notice from my Hong Kong tailor Andy that he is going to be in town next weekend. I have been buying suits from him since 1972 and he has never ever disappointed me. Last year, I picked up five suits from Andy so I am sort of tapped out for any more new suits. I had thought about replacing a double breasted blazer simply because I was tired of if.

I happened to wear that coat to work today. I checked the label and it was made in 1991. Fourteen years old and it still fits just fine. I decided to keep the blazer since it fits. I think I will probably buy no more than two suits.

Once I bought my first Hong Kong suit, I was spoiled for ever. I could never go back to buying off of the rack. Your suit always fits and never needs any alterations. The style you want is always available. The suit always comes in the right fabric, color, and pattern.

What more could a guy ask for?

The weather was crummy today. It was overcast and cool all day long. I even had some light rain on the drive home and that made everything nasty out there. It should be better for the weekend.

I think I will go do something useful and productive now. I will be off blogging until the Sunday Weekend Update.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home