Monday, May 02, 2005

Cellphones

I have three cellphones.

Strange when you think about that.

I mean, I can only talk on one phone at a time. Oh sure, I could have one phone at each ear and try to carry on two separate conversations at the same time.

That idea is a non-starter.

I only use one cellphone for maybe 95% or more of my calls. So then Chuck, why don't you get rid of the other two?

Fascinating question.

I have had one phone number since 1989 and I have grown attached to it. It used to be the number for the cellphone in my car. I got it back when cellphones were all analog and cost upwards of $700. I kept it because of sentimental values mostly.

My carrier, Verizon, had been working on me to upgrade to a digital phone for several years. I finally took their offer when they gave me a free phone and allowed me to retain the old number. My contract with Verizon expires on Friday and I plan to switch it over to Cingular.

As luck would have it, I got a promotion from Cingular in the mail today. I could get a color screen phone from them for $29 and a two year contract. I can do that and play switch the SIMM cars. I would put the primary SIMM car in the new phone and then put the Verizon SIMM card in the old primary phone.

The other reason to keep the old phone is that it is in the shrinking 213 Area Code. 213 numbers are harder to obtain nowadays.

The only reason to keep the other number is that it has a lot of "8s" in it. Eight is a lucky number in many Asian cultures. If I start seeing an Asian woman, I will use this number to call her. Maybe it will bring me good luck.

Slick.

If I was a rational person, I would only carry one cellphone and not worry about the consequences except for saving money. If I dropped the two unused phone numbers, I think I could save around $250 a year; just enough to cover the Big Guy's next meal at Morton's.

Oh well, it is not that much in the grand scheme of things. Monthly, it is enough the Big Guy and me to go to Tommy's, Fatburger, or Albertacos for a meal. Still, I really should think about saving money.

Be well and stay happy gentle readers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home