Sunday, June 19, 2005

Weekend Update - More Earthquakes

“Hole lotta shaking goin’ on.”

Well gentle readers; it is time again for another Weekend Update. It was a very good weekend for me and I hope your weekend was fun for you.

After looking at my home state, California or Kalifornia, as the Governator likes to call it, the best I can say about it is “hole lotta shaking goin’ on” this week. As I write this blog, our state has experienced five earthquakes that registered over 4.0 on the Richter Scale. That is what we normally receive in a full year so we are way ahead of ourselves.

I’m not sure if that is good or not.

As you know, I live at the beach. I was naturally concerned about the possibility of a tsunami hitting my home. I learned that there is a low likelihood of a tsunami since our local ocean faults are slip faults which means the land moves laterally and the sea floor does not change significantly. Slip faults do not produce tsunamis.

Excellent.

I also learned that I lived higher than I thought I did. I had forgotten that there is a fifty foot or so cliff where the land portion of the town goes back from the beach. I think this moves me up to being close 300 feet about the ocean. The nearest land with the highest danger is maybe ten or more miles away.

I was driving into work on Friday when I noticed the car next to me when I was stopped at a traffic light. It was an older Toyota Corolla sedan, very unremarkable except for the fact that it had “spinner wheels.” And, it was being driven by an older woman, probably older than me. [If you don’t know what a spinner wheel is, just ask me in the comment.]

I was surprised and almost shocked that a frumpy older sedan with faded paint would have fancier wheels than my sporty Honda Prelude. I asked the Big Guy about this when we had lunch on Sunday. He said it is very common for older women to be driving cars with spinners; granted, they maybe low value wheels but still they are spinners. He offered no explanation why this happens.

The Girl Friend and I went to see MR. & MRS. SMITH on Saturday. We really enjoyed it. I felt it was an action – comedy film more than anything else. You did need to pay attention to their dialogue in the film. There are some very funny double entendre comments and you will miss them if you are not focused on the film.

I will agree with the Big Guy that some of the action scenes were not put together as well as the rest of the film. The car chase went on a little longer than necessary and it was on the routine side.

After the film was over, the Girl Friend took me out to dinner for Father’s Day. We went to one of our favorite casual restaurants and had a good meal. I overly indulged with dessert and had a triple chocolate cheesecake with a scoop of vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce. She had a chocolate sundae for her dessert.

I know the chocolate was not that best of all dessert choices. I can indulge myself on the weekends and Father’s Day only comes once a year.

If you will recall from last week, the Big Guy was bummed out about getting a “B+” on his paper for his Summer School class. He could have done better if he had proof read it more. I offered to proof read his mid-term.

I read one section on Friday morning of the mid-term and sent it back to him. He pounded out the rest of the mid-term in the afternoon. I finished up with the paper around 10:00 PM or so on Friday night and sent it back to him. He stays up later than I do so he finished the paper then.

The Princess called me this morning to wish me a happy Father’s Day. That was very nice of her; we will do a formal Father's Day celebration in July when she is home on vacation. I was rolling down the freeway to meet the Big Guy for our Father’s Day when she called me. We were going to go buy a new desk chair because the old one finally died on Thursday. Things wear out.

While we were on our way to the furniture store, we talked about the trouble we had with the mid-term. He was having trouble opening the stuff I sent back to him. I think his version of Word for Macs was too old and could not open documents that I created in Office XP. I asked why don’t we get a new version of Word since the Apple Store is in the mall next to Albertacos, our lunch destination.

On the way there, I decided to pick up a new Apple G5 machine. I had agreed to get him a newer Apple Mac so he can use it for editing work that will come from his film school classes. It made sense to do it today since I had my truck and, therefore, room to carry it to his house. I was only pushing the purchase up by a month or so.

It also made a lot of sense to me to do it now. Apple is going to start producing Macs with Intel chips for sale in 2006. I figured that there could be a run on the dual processor G5s. They might be gone by the time we got around to getting one.

Anyway, he was really surprised and obviously happy with the early purchase decision.

His mother did not understand why we bought the G5 today. She could have been in a poor mood because she was watching a baseball game on television when we got back to the Big Guy’s home. Her team was loosing badly.

The Big Guy gets to spend most of July transferring data from his older G4 to the new machine. This will keep him busy for a while.

Speaking if busy, it is time for me to busy myself off to bed.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home