Sunday, June 12, 2005

Weekend Update - Earthhquake

Hello gentle readers.

When I signed off on Thursday, I was wondering what I would title the Update. My first inclination was to go with a weather related theme of “Gloomy Jumey” because it has been overcast at the beach. Like today for example, the sun finally came out at my house around 4:30 PM and that is too late to really enjoy much of it.

Then, I thought about titling the blog “Food Fight” because we were eating up a storm on Friday at work. We had two film loans close on Thursday and, by tradition, the loan officers buy food for the office the next day.

Tasty.

I was almost knocked over by one of the ladies who were scurrying to the staff room to load up on the chocolate pound cake [yummy] and bagels. Last Friday, I bought donuts for Donut Friday.

Finally, I decided to go with a geologic and movie theme of “Earthquake.” Southern California had an intermediate size earthquake that hit at 8:41 AM. It was centered about 140 miles [225 kilometers] east of my house. I felt the quake at 8:42AM.

I was awake, lying in bed, when my building shook for about 10 seconds. There was no damage to my building that I can see. Damage near the epicenter has been limited to articles being knocked of shelves. Workers in markets hate earthquake because so much stuff is knocked into the aisles.

The earthquake registered a 5.6 on the Richter Scale. There have been several hundred aftershocks but these have been too small to feel unless you were standing right over the aftershock.

Friday, in addition to being a major eating event, was also Casual Friday. I wore one of my new Tommy Bahama shirts that the Girl Friend bought me. I picked it out and she slipped the clerk the plastic to close the deal. I had several very positive comments about how nice the shirt looked on me and how well the colors went with my complexion.

Always nice to be noticed; especially in a positive manner.

My Saturday did not start off with a happy moment.

I had my regular six month visit to my dentist for the semi-annual scrap and nag session. He cleans my teeth and then nags me about some of my evil habits like not flossing regularly and smoking cigars periodically. On the plus side, I am good to go for another six months and there were no apparent troubles for me to be concerned about.

My dentist mentioned that one of his sons had just spent four years in college in a liberal arts major and now wants to be a doctor. His son will need two solid years more of college science courses just to get to the point of being able to apply to medical school. Then, there is medical school and internship and residency and that should be close to 12 years or more of school.

This made me glad when I figured the Big Guy ought to finish up in June 2007. I can handle two more years.

The Big Guy called me as I was driving out to pick up the Girl Friend to go to the theater. He was in one of his writing frustration moods. He was bummed about having to use terms he was uncomfortable with for a class paper. We talked about having to play the game to complete the course and get a good grade. Our chat lasted about 20 minutes which is long for us.

I think the chat was successful. He was at the four page mark in a paper that needed to be between three and five pages long. I noticed in his blog [ http://skeetonmischa.blogspot.com ] today that the final paper was eight pages long.

Excellent chat coaching Dad.

The play we went to see was a musical. Actually, it was more like an oldies radio station having a live broadcast. It was about two hours of music from the 1950s and 1960s.

What’s not too like about that?

The play is called “Smokey Joe’s Café.” It is based on the songs of Lieber and Stoller. You may not have heard of them but they wrote twenty songs for Elvis Presley including Hound Dog, Jailhouse Rock, and Love Me Tender.

The post play session with the Girl Friend was not much fun for me. We got off into a political discussion. I should have remembered what I learned when I was a young Navy officer; you never ever discuss religion, politics, or women.

This discussion was like Joel Chandler Harris’ “Tar Baby.” [Check out the Disney film SONG OF THE SOUTH for more on the tar baby and the rest of Chandler’s characters.] The more you handled it the more you became involved in the mess.

We share almost completely opposite political views. I see myself as being from the old liberal conservative tradition who favors strong protection for social and civil liberties and small government. She is more closely associated with the conservative Christian right in American politics. I am somewhat troubled by her points of view that include government censorship of public television may be fine and that separation of church and state does not apply to the Christian faith.

Oh well, life and relationships are usually a never ending series of compromises. I think we would cancel each other out at the polling place.

I saw a film that the Big Guy was keen on today. HIGH TENSION [new convention: all film titles will be capitalized] is a French made, revenge – rescue genre film. It has more than the acceptable minimum ten gallons [40 liters] of fake blood. It is sprayed everywhere, sometimes badly overdone.

It is partially subtitled and partially dubbed. The Big Guy explained the dubbing was the result of having the film sitting on the shelf for two years before being released in the States. The distributors thought it would get a better domestic reception with the dubbing. I found it to be slightly annoying.

The Big Guy was disappointed with the film. It takes a weird plot zigzag towards the end and this left him cold. He said the film should have followed the usual genre conventions. I felt the change was nice and that it added something to the overall enjoyment.

I did feel that it was lacking in building up to the scary plot points. It was not a Jason or Freddy Krueger like film in that respect.

HIGH TENSION was cut back from an NC-17 rating to be shown with an R rating. That sort of warns you what to expect. If you like slasher films then this one might be right for you.

This was my weekend and I enjoyed myself. I hope you had a great weekend as well.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home