Tuesday, May 31, 2005

More Memorial Day Weekend Update

Hello bloggers.

It’s Tuesday night and I still have some more of my Memorial Day Weekend Update. I don’t know why I left this out.

Going back to the Chuckay Dinner with the Girl Friend, the Big Guy said she was “nice.” Granted nice may not seem like much of a compliment but, coming from the Big Guy, nice is about as good as it gets. He thought she was a nice girl friend for me; he seemed to think I was happy and that worked for him. That and the fact she joined us at Morton’s helped her cause greatly.

We just can’t have any vegetarians around anymore.

When I was driving out to South Orange County on Monday morning to see Episode III, I was able to drive on cruise control on the 405, during the day or night in either Los Angeles or Orange Counties, for the first time ever.

That was just so unreal for me. You really have to be a Southern Californian to appreciate that comment.

I just got in my travel lane and cruised along at the speed limit and stayed there. Naturally, there has to be the jerk and Monday was no exception. This less than fully evolved life form came speeding up behind me and braked sharply. He then had the gall to flash his headlights at me for only driving at the speed limit. I would point out there were two open lanes of traffic to my right hand and it would have been easier for him to simply pass me. After a minute of my “slow driving,” jerk head pulled around me and roared off in a cloud of unburned gasoline fumes.

I managed to catch up to jerk head about five minutes later on.

Jerk head was parked on the side of the freeway having a pleasant holiday morning chit chat with two members of the California Highway Patrol.

That was so sweet.

You will recall my foolish excessively wonderful lunch of a Tommy’s Hamburgers Mega-Combo lunch from yesterday. It was sort of a mistake for me. I had too much caffeine in the Pepsi Cola and I had trouble getting to sleep last night. I can normally fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow. Last night, I went to bed around 10:00 PM and I was still flopping around at 1:30 AM. What dinner I had was light; I only had a sandwich and a banana for dinner.

The Big Guy gave me another samurai film for my birthday. This film is called Sword of Doom. It has a sort of “man with no name – fist full of dollars” feel to it. This is because it preceded those films and appears to have influenced their directors.

Sword of Doom is not your Kurosawa samurai film. It was more like how Brian di Palma would make a samurai film. I was reminded of Scarface for the almost mindless violence and self destruction and Taxi Driver for the relentless self destruction. It is a very violent film. I think the body count was way over a hundred or more; it was hard to tell in some scenes that were murky or fog shrouded in the ever present Japanese forest just before the foreseeable ambush.

I really enjoyed the film and will probably watch it again soon. It was that good.

The Sword of Doom liner notes commented about a samurai trilogy DVD set. I have seen the set before in my favorite DVD store, DVD Planet.com but had always passed it bye. Now, I think I will take a much closer look at the set the next time I am at DVD Planet.

On the subject of DVDs, there are two interesting DVD boxed sets on sale now. One is the Gary Cooper Collection and it is very promising. The other one is the Steve McQueen Collection. I expect I will be adding then to my DVD collection soon enough.

Going back to work today was not too hard. It is easy to go to work when you live alone and work provides ten hours of adult company everyday.

Most of the day seemed to be spent in discussing how the three day long weekend went with each of the office co-workers. As far as I can tell, everyone had a great time. Perhaps some had a greater time than others.

Vivian the Office Assistant returned from her trip to the People’s Republic of China. She went there on vacation in part and to go shopping for furniture in part. It was nice to have her back at work. She helps make the office a bit more lively and fun place to be.

I got more phone calls today than I did all of last week. I don’t get that many calls so six calls in a day is a lot for me. Since no one called to yell at me, they were all good calls.

I think I am going to pack it in now gentle readers. My lack of sleep from last night is catching up with me.

Be well and stay happy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Douglas Reinhardt said...

long live the mega combo from tommys

7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home