Thursday, July 14, 2005

Unclear on the concepts

Hello gentle readers.

I know I haven’t been posting on my usual schedule this week. I have missed the posts and sharing my observations. I have been distracted the last two days but now I am back on track.

On Tuesday, I received my new external floppy drive for my laptop. The floppy drive that came with the six year old machine failed on me. It would not allow any diskettes to be read; sort of a serious problem. The new drive came from Kowloon, Hong Kong in only four days and that is really fast service.

I also picked up my two new suits at the cleaners. They arrived on last Thursday and I took them in to be pressed on Saturday. The Princess would understand how distracting new clothes can be.

On Wednesday, I went to the market on my way home. The drive home was really bad for no accidents on my route. By the time I put away the food and had some dinner, it was already 8:30 PM and my bed looked mighty inviting so I went to bed early and slept well.

On to the topic.

I was driving home yesterday when I ended up behind a blonde in a convertible. The top was down. It was windy in the car when she drove; it was also just plain windy at the beach yesterday as well. Every time we came to a traffic light, she pulled out her brush and tried to comb out her tangled hair.

She was unclear of the concept that one needs to either wear a hat or put your hair in a ponytail if you want to avoid tangles when riding in a convertible with the top down. That seems so painfully obvious to me.

Maybe she went to BYU.

The other observation also involved a blonde, cellphones, and driving. I try to avoid using cell phones unless I am stuck in traffic. If I am not moving, I can not be much of a risk to other drivers.

Logical, right?

I was taking the Princess to the airport for her flight back home to Atlanta Sunday morning. I saw this blonde, again a blonde but a different blonde, starting up a pick truck. She was talking on her cell phone, pulling away from the parking spot, and generally not paying attention to the task at hand, namely safe driving.

I saw her look in the rear view mirror to check for oncoming traffic; that would be the Princess and me. She never turned her head to see if she missed a car in the blind spot; that would have been our truck.

I laid on a good blast of my horn to warn her.

Surprise, surprise; she was shocked that someone would blow their horn at her. Naturally, she was not wearing a seat and shoulder belt so she got bounced into the steering wheel when she slammed on the brakes. Probably deserved that too.

I was very upset and used language that I save for special occasions like this one. The Princess was surprised. She said she was glad the windows were closed. I can have a nasty temper. She also said the idiot deserved.

She probably went to UCLA.

Other observations on life.

The workers on the adjacent building had another fire in the roofing material today. It was not very serious and only flared for a few minutes. The workers were on the roof at the time so they were able to quickly put it out. There was no real danger, I hope anyway.

As I was watching the workers put the small fire out, I can to a scary conclusion. They might be tearing the older building down so a new high rise could be built in its place. If the new building were to be ten or twelve stories or more tall, it would generally block out the really nice view that I have.

That would really suck.

Part of the roof at the old building was used as an open air employee lunch and recreation [smoking] area. There were some plants on the roof but they are all gone except for two forlorn and sickly looking potted palm trees. The workers seem to water the trees but why are they left in the middle of piles of construction debris?

Inquiring minds want to know why.

I wore one of new suits to work yesterday. It was a tan chalk stripe suite. I had on a light blue shirt and I wore a new tie that Princess got me for Father’s Day. Vivian, the office assistant, said I looked cute in the suit. I wasn’t sure how to take that so I accepted it as a compliment. Vivian said she loves men in striped business suits. She also thought the new Tommy Bahama tie looked great with the suit.

Cool.

The Big Guy is going to stop by my office tomorrow on his way to Amoeba Music. Actually, I am out of his way but he is coming by around noon so he can score a free lunch from Dad. His sister did the same thing when she was in town. We will go to a less fancy place because he will in shorts and probably unshaven. You can dress like that as a student or really successful film director.

I got a call from the Big Guy as he was leaving the 36th Annual Comic Convention in San Diego today. We used to go to Comic-Con when he was younger. I think he and I went for maybe five or six Comic-Cons and then we grew out of that phase of our lives. He said the scored a bootleg copy of BLADE RUNNER, another film, and a couple of comic books. We will have something to talk about at lunch tomorrow.

I read in the trades today [Daily Variety and Hollywood Reporter] that Comic-Con was becoming more mainstream and less comic book oriented. Lions Gate Films will premiere the new Rob Zombie film, THE DEVIL’S REJECTS on Saturday at the convention. This should create a real Internet buzz of the film is any good.

Looking ahead to the weekend, it looks very good. Tomorrow night, I have the season premieres of Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, and Battlestar Galactica. Not a bad way to spend a Friday evening. On Saturday, the Big Guy and I are going to Tommy’s for lunch [double chili cheeseburger, chili cheese fries, and a root beer] and then on to DVD Planet.com to pick up some new DVDs. And, let's not forget the Immortal Yi Soon-Shin.

Not too bad.

Time for me to go check my pile of email and clean out the in box. I hope you all have a great weekend and I will catch up on the flipside with the Weekend Update on Sunday.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home